Sign in to follow this  
Daddyjaxx

Why can't you do a clean install with the Visa Upgrade?

All the other ones you could just pop in the previous OS CD and there you go. I guess they now want to make sure you have XP that you can activate before they let you upgrade. Now if I ever want to reinstall Vista, I have to load XP first and then do an upgrade.

There is apparently an easy way to get round it, and install clean from the upgrade copy - one which MS deliberately built into the software for some reason.

http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/11747

AFAIK the activation process demands a receipt number or similar for the system you bought XP with (being an OEM version). :eek: It isn't explained what constitutes a 'system' in this case, and MS are clear as mud on the subject as always.

wasn't it always like this ? im pretty sure ....

No, you could always do a clean install with the Windows upgrade version. I did it many times.

This is simply one more way to assure that I stay with XP as long as it is supported.

As mentioned above. Just do a clean install by booting off the DVD, but don't put the cd-key in. after it is up. run the dvd again and this time put your cd-key in and that will be your clean install.

I've been on the phone with Microsoft support for hours now trying to do an Upgrade of Vista on a RAID 0. It took hours to get my issue explained to them, but they do now finally seem to understand. Below is part of an email I got from Msoft support, note the last line....

Msoft Support said:

The other option we get to the option of selecting "Upgrade Or Custom Installation" We can go ahead and select Custom Installation. When we select Custom Installation the next screen we get contains the option to Load Drivers. From there we can update the drivers and cancel the setup after upgradation and once again start the upgradation process.

Note :- > Please do not do a clean install with upgrade DVD. It may create a serious problem in near future.

the deal with it is, if you install from the windowXP install and upgrade to vista, this will forfeit your XP key :D

This is why it's best to do a clean install that way you can keep your XP key otherwise it gets forfeit.

Nice upgrade ehh?

Again do not upgrade just do a clean install on a clean partition not on top of XP.

As mentioned above. Just do a clean install by booting off the DVD, but don't put the cd-key in. after it is up. run the dvd again and this time put your cd-key in and that will be your clean install.

To be precise, you have to run setup from within the trial installation of vista and then enter your reg code when requested. Thats how I did it and it worked like a charm.

The previous vista installation will be moved to a folder called Windows.old, which can be deleted - voila, clean install. It takes twice as long but it saves you money, if you dont want to gamble with a systembuilder version (where you have to pick either 32bit or 64bit and on top of it all risk that Microsoft one day may decides to lock your reg key to the current motherboard you're using, like it actually should be as per EULA but isnt, at this point in time. The same was true for XP but alas, they never bothered to enforce this).