E6400 Peaking at 2.8Ghz - Why?

I went up the latter from: 2.14, 2.4, 2.6 ,2.778, then at 2.933 (8 x 367) It wouldn't boot unless I hit the reset button, ran until I Restarted, then no boot... I backed down to 2.809 (8x350) and everything's fine again.

My problem settings: 2.933Mhz= CPU Clock: 365Mhz, PCIE clock set: 105Mhz, CPU VID offset: +37.5mv, VTT V: 1.30v, DRAM V: 2.20V, NB CHIP V: 1.70V - this gave me CPU core of 1.262v and my temps were 33C-36C. DRAM time: 4.4.4.12 - 533mhz Refresh at 15.6. Rest of DRAM on AUTO.

At 2.8, with no problems, I just lowered the CPU Clock to 350Mhz, offset at either +37.5 or +50.0 works fine, I also lowered VTT to 1.25, DRAM to 2.15 and NB to 1.65.

Where am I going wrong? Is there another setting I need to go above 350Mhz CPU Clock? And you guessed it, I'm new to O.C...

Can you Pro's help me out with some tips that I'm missing?

Thanks, the Bum

975x 11/2006 BIOS

E6400 - right now at 2.809Mhz (350x8) (32%)

Zalman Heatsink BlueCooler - all air system.

connect3d Radeon X1900GT

Antec 650W

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need a signature.

Welcome to the forums.

I didnt use the DFI's bios, but you shuld disable a couple of options like spread spectrum, c1e or something like that....intel speedstep, virtualization technology...etc etc.

Those settings are like fsb walls. ^^

Welcome to the forum you are going to like it.

Get a SIG up quick before you get in trouble with the Angry man.

I asked a similar question when I got my 975 & a guy called fmc_boss gave me these links I hope they help you out.

Guide by Technodanvan over at -dare i say it- 'DFI-Club',(http://csd.dficlub.org/pgpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=71)

There is also a wealth of info here http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64701 which most of the info was gathered from.

Wow!!! Thanks guys, Jumpman and Chump (any relation), I needed someone to point me in the right direction. I still can't believe how addicting, interesting, and cool Overclocking is... it's like I've been a drone just computing in the dark ages before I bought this new board and chip set up. Reminds me of suping up a car to get more hp and torque... without the speeding tickets.

BTW, Chump - the "DFI Club" link doen't seem to be working - down? But the second link you listed from this Forum IS EXACLTY WHAT I NEED!!!!! I already spotted a few things I need to adjust, like flashing the newest BIOS (Beta 97TIDC15.bin ?),bringing up my NB Chip voltage... well I need to read MORE before I get ahead of myself. I hope you guys will be patient with me as I'm probably going to ask more naive/stupid questions.

Sorry for not putting a Signature, I am a Bum.

THANKS AGAIN,

I DIG THIS SITE,

Baja Bum

BTW, Chump - the "DFI Club" link doen't seem to be working - down?

Its the new official DFI forum http://global.dficlub.com just look in the Intel Overclocking Discuss & you will see the 975X/G Mobo - Infinity 975X/G Overclocking Guide.

Don’t go to wild with your voltages my board does 400+ fsb on stock chipset voltage I would only increase voltage when you think you need to & if it doesn’t help reduce it again.

I would recommend blowing air on the chipset heat sink just to keep it nice & cool. I use a 70mm fan & my chipset runs 40-45oC fully loaded up to 1.8v

It looks like I'm having the same problem but on the ASUS P5N-E SLI board. I tapped in a FSB of 1600QDR (400Mhz) thus effectively giving me a 3200Mhz. To get the machine to boot, i had to press the reset button twice. When it did eventually boot, i was at 2.8Ghz !! (350Mhz) not 3.2Ghz. On this BIOS I'm limited i think.

Im just downloading the latest BIOS to see if that fixes things. The only downside is, im having to do this on my Lads PC because the overclocking efforts have completely BORKED the Onboard Gigabit LAN. In DHCP mode it refuses to aquire an IP and simply times out. Tried this on both my Router and Switch. From the Command prompt, ipconfig /release also fails !! As does ipconfig /renew !!

Once the new BIOS is onboard im hoping it will fix this glitch !! The Mobo LAN and OS are obviously talking as it correctly displays when i have connected and disconnected the CAT5 cable !! Although i did reset to defaults in the BIOS i havent cleared the CMOS (although i thought that's what RESET DEFAULTS did from the BIOS)

Anyway, im a little gutted right now, because it looks like im gonna have to RMA the board unless i can get the JOLT the ONBOARD LAN back into life !! No way do i want to take up the already FEW PCI slots with an aftermarket LAN card

Pihrana

I would post this question up on your own thread that way you will get a good response from people with your motherboard setup etc.

I used to get the LAN failing on a DFI expert & it was all down to windows corruption caused by pushing the FSB to far without testing for basic stability. It always happened when I upped the FSB without increasing the chipset voltage.

I would load the latest BIOS & reset it to default then see what happens but please bear in mind it could be windows stopping you from getting on the net not a broken motherboard.

Hey Pirana,

May seem silly, but did you check the BIOS (Advanced...) to see if the LAN is Enabled? My LAN stopped functioning a few nights ago after having to reset the CMOS ,and after racking my brains out for a while I checked the BIOS, only to find it had reset to Disable. So, I checked Enable and all was good after that.

Just a thought - if you havn't tried already.

It is also irritating that the BIOS Default for USB keyboard and mouse are set at Disable. Now I keep a s/p keyboard under the desk just for resets...

Hey Chump,

I still am having non-boot above CPU clock setting 350Mhz. Can't figure out why. Don't get me wrong, 2.8Mhz is really fast and easy on my hardware, but it should go higher like others here. I'm following the Guides, but maybe I'm overlooking something. Could it be my RAM?

-Baja Bum

Any input.

Hey Chump,

I still am having non-boot above CPU clock setting 350Mhz. Can't figure out why. Don't get me wrong, 2.8Mhz is really fast and easy on my hardware, but it should go higher like others here. I'm following the Guides, but maybe I'm overlooking something. Could it be my RAM?

-Baja Bum

Any input.

Non Boot into windows or non post i.e the black screen bit where it tests your memory & you hit del to go into BIOS.

I would say no boot up your offset voltage

No post has just got to be bad BIOS setup

Long beep at post usually means you have gone to far with the RAM speed try reducing the divider to 400 more voltage or looser timings one by one.

Ive cured my 2.8Ghz (350FSB) problem with the latest 0401 BIOS. Im booted at 2810Mhz (352Mhz FSB) and its running fine. 57% into the OCCT test.......

My Onboard LAN is still borked (Has to put in a PCI WiFi card to get online). Ive checked absolutely EVERYTHING, both BIOS and Windows related. Ive also tried dis-abling and re-enabling everything. Tried manual Settings and DCHP. Obviously i cant account for corrupt windows drivers etc, but i have un-installed/disabled/re-installed Hardware from BIOS/Windows and drivers etc !!

I've even hooked upto a second switch and carried out exactly the same testing, but unfortunately with the same results.

CHUMP - Thanks for the tip.......I havent tried it yet (just booted into the OC'ed settings) cos ive only just read it but once this OCCT has finished I'll up the NB voltage a little.

BAJA BUM - Hope you get your Rig up and above 350Mhz FSB. Like i said above, a new BIOS sorted out my ASUS board. I take it you've already flashed your DFI Board with a BIOS which is known to allow >350Mhz FSB settings?