Gigabyte ds3 + e4300

Hey Kingfisher, I just started testing my e4300 at stock and I noticed in core temp it shows an ES next to where it says what kind of processor it is. Does yours say that too? I wonder if I actually got an engineering sample or if it is some kind of error or something.

Edit: Everest reports it as being a engineering sample too.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

newegg...but I think it was a false alarm. I just installed Vista today and coretemp wasn't showing my temps but it showed the cpu info...so I changed it work in compatibillity mode and now the temps work but it no longer says ES. But Everest still shows it as being an ES....wierd. I guess it might be possible that Intel let an ES slip through their fingers but not very likely.

King - you are following almost same steps with me.

I had a e6400, ds3, and ocz promos ram combo then moved to p5b deluxe, e6600, team groups. For me, both of the mobos were really good - 3.6 ghz and 4.05 ghz 24/7 runs.

Perhaps you have already read below threads but I made a summary for you:

DS3 adventures: http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67810

P5b deluxe NB/SB cooling: http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread...2285#post692285

P5b deluxe overclocking: http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74176

P5b deluxe ocdb (for bios settings): http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showpost.p...48&postcount=46

good luck dude!

Raider, I forgot to metion you need to have a MB that supports unlocked multis.:)

Ooz, thanks for the input and the linkness. You may have a better chip than me, I could not get higher than 345fsb with this DS3, it may be a combination of inexerience on my part and that horrible cold boot issue.

To be fair though, I may have had just a goofed up motherboard. Except for my old DFI Expert, all of my best results were when I was using an Asus motherboard.

I hope this P5B deluxe can do 350-360 fsb let alone way over 400 as your impressive results show. We shall see, board arrives thursday along with a new sata dvd burner, no more IDE bulky cables for me.:)

Just out of curiosity,do you use any IDE devices on that board? How many and which of the 2 controllers did you use? The blue one or the black?

Thanks again ooztuncer.

Raider, I forgot to metion you need to have a MB that supports unlocked multis.:)

Ooz, thanks for the input and the linkness. You may have a better chip than me, I could not get higher than 345fsb with this DS3, it may be a combination of inexerience on my part and that horrible cold boot issue.

To be fair though, I may have had just a goofed up motherboard. Except for my old DFI Expert, all of my best results were when I was using an Asus motherboard.

I hope this P5B deluxe can do 350-360 fsb let alone way over 400 as your impressive results show. We shall see, board arrives thursday along with a new sata dvd burner, no more IDE bulky cables for me.

Just out of curiosity,do you use any IDE devices on that board? How many and which of the 2 controllers did you use? The blue one or the black?

Thanks again ooztuncer.

King I am almost 100% sure that you would have hit much higher fsb with the ds3. It's known that mobo's have a fsb limit but it is still uncertain whether conroe or allendale cpu's have a fsb wall. Some people say that all conroe's have a fsb wall, some others don't believe in 'fsb wall' concept.

In any case, perhaps your 4300 is not a good overclocker after all. I think you will test it after you get your p5b deluxe.

If you are stuck around 345-360mhz with 9 multi then drop your multi to 8 and try 8x401 from bios.

Why 401 > cuz 1066 strap changes to 1333 @ 401mhz in p5b deluxe.

As soon as your nbridge latencies relax, and given that your ram is good, i don't see any reason not to hit 3.3-3.4ghz.

And for the ide drives, I am using my IDE cd burner without a problem. Initially I didn't know that jmicron controls the IDE channels so I disabled it > result was a non-working ide channel :)

So, don't disable jmicron controller and leave it at ide.

hope it helps...

ooztuncer,

I have my P5B Deluxe up and going. With regards to pc probe and speedfan, they show 10c higher than CoreTemp. I have been reading about temp reporting issues with this motherboard.

I also notice that if I use TaT, it is more like 20c higher.

As of now, I am just web-surfing these are my Temps.

When I run orthos, speedfan and pc probe II report temps in the 70-72c while CoreTemp reports a cool 58-59c.

Have you noticed this with your board?

Hey Kingfisher, I just started testing my e4300 at stock and I noticed in core temp it shows an ES next to where it says what kind of processor it is. Does yours say that too? I wonder if I actually got an engineering sample or if it is some kind of error or something.

Edit: Everest reports it as being a engineering sample too.

Just wanted to bump this up to see if other people might think that I have an ES cpu or not.

I highlighted the part that reports it as being an ES. Core Temp used to report it as being a ES but it wasn't running right in Vista...so I changed to compatibility mode and it worked right but no longer says ES in core temp. I also believe it might be an ES because of how well it is overclocking. It's currently at 3150mhz at 1.4v.

http://weboperative.com/OCIDB/Raiderfan001/stuff/Everest.jpg

Hey Raiderfan001. I have the 2007 Trial Version of Everest, and it doesnt even include the Engineering Sample as a list entity. Maybe they have dropped it from 2007, but it might be worth seeing what the latest Everest Version displays.....