Sign in to follow this  
snezzer

snezzer's Big Giant Questions Thread (merged)

does the X-Fi still come with a firewire port?

All of my Audigy2 ZS's come with a firewire, and the Audigy and X-Fi are much better than onboard sound anyway (especially for gaming)

Or you could just get a decent firewire PCI card for pretty cheap (and then you could save a little more money by getting the GA-965P-S3 that I have put in teh OCDB and will be doing a very positive review on) since you don't care about dual video cards.

Not to sidetrack or de-rail, but if you use a firewire PCI card, will you lose any transfer speed?

Will it perform the same as a native firewire port on a motherboard?

I gotta keep it on the wall somehow.

I hate IDE cables. I used up all my round ones in the fileserver, so I have to use the lame ones on the desktop. I'd put it in the spot the SATA HD is, but this would suck - I'd have it facing backwards.. definitely not feeling that.

PCI = 133 MBps.

firewire = 400 mbps, and the other one is 800 mbps I believe.

For sake of worst case scenario, let's guess everything's gone wrong and your PCI bandwidth is 100 MBps, and we'll use firewire 2 at 800 mbps.

100 MBps x 8 = 800 mbps.

There's no speed loss at all. PCI has more than enough bandwidth for firewire. :)

I've only used SATA cards via PCI express, so I have no experience with PCI firewire, but I imagine it'd be fine.

THAT's not a bad idea... I had not thought of that.

Thanks. But then my firewire port on the front of my case would be useless, eh? Or is there a way I could connect the PCI-card to that case port from the inside?

Some, but not all, add-on PCI firewire cards have a connection on the card to wire up to an internal plug. They will usually say, 2 ext, 1 int. Just check the wiring from the case connection and make sure it meets specs and has the right colors where they are supposed to be.

I was thinking that I may want to just get 4Gb of memory right away.

Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

lol

well

you can get yourself a good 2x2GB kit from OCZ and Corsair etc, but inexpensive???

not even gonna be a close one for a while yet

you gonna spend some cash for 2x2GB (and if you using WindowsXP 32-bit, why bother?)

Sign in to follow this