snezzer's Big Giant Questions Thread (merged)

snezzer

Sneezer: The graphics board you selected originally wouldn't be a great choice, as the stock isn't readily available (ONWH = Ontario Warehouse). However the 8800GTS that has been suggested is a great alternative, depending on the resolution you want to run you might consider the new 320MB version: http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=...anufacture=EVGA

First, thanks for the advice. Ya, I had already decided to change that. There's the one you suggested (the EVGA at stock) or there is an overclocked XFX version at NCIX for $10 less. Is EVGA a better company?

Second, my handle is "snEZZer", not "snEEZer". :) Everyone seems to misread it!

Thanks for you help, bad!:P

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Praz: The E6600 Has a 9X Multi, not a 10. The E4300 also has a 9X multiplier.

Yeah, 9x is what my 6600 has. Typo corrected.

snezzer, the point I was trying to make was even though the E4300 stock speed is 1800Mhz, because of the 800MHz bus speed the multiplier is high enough that insane FSB speeds aren't required to overclock.

You would probably notice some difference between the 4300 and the 6600 at stock speeds with video editing. If that difference justifies the price spread though is something only you can decide.

You would probably notice some difference between the 4300 and the 6600 at stock speeds with video editing. If that difference justifies the price spread though is something only you can decide.

Thanks for your comments. I will have to decide.

but this comment...

snezzer, the point I was trying to make was even though the E4300 stock speed is 1800Mhz, because of the 800MHz bus speed the multiplier is high enough that insane FSB speeds aren't required to overclock.

is just jibberish to me. You may as well have said, "snezzer, the point I was trying to make was even though the E4300 stock speed is 1800Mhz, because of the asdflk owierlkn943 lwef9fnf jjf=f2 lkaf-nf slkfj-jjf df-2 2-0j u4i4uo 4*#gf aren't required to overclock." :rolleyes:

Sorry about that.

Stock settings:

E4300 - 200*9=1800MHz

E6300 - 266*7=1860MHz

Now lets look at overclocking to 3200MHz. The 4300 with a 9x multiplier will require a FSB of 355MHz. The 6300 using a 7x multiplier is going to need the FSB at 457MHz.

It's a lot more difficult to push a board to 457MHz then it is to 355MHz.

holy bleep.

what's your cooling thasp?

I'll take a new picture to post later, the rad is up against the window so the tubes are freezing.

To give an idea of how much the asus p5w dh sucks - here's a picture of a similar overclock, same cooling. I tweaked it for two months, and this is the best I could get out of it.. look at the temperature for it.

BTW, that wasn't stable. It needed yet even more voltage to pass blend for more than seven minutes.

http://thasp.net:8080/pictures/cooling/crazy.PNG

Look at how much higher the temp is..

Asus 975 is not the way to go. :(

Just when I thought I had fully decided on each of the components I was going to buy... I was looking at the Gigabyte ds3, and was excited because it was so much cheaper than some other ones i was looking at. Then I realized that it has no support for firewire.

I love firewire and I use it all the time for video transfer.

So, any other mobo suggestions? You can see my sig for my other planned components...

My mobo needs to:

a) work with core 2 duo (obviously)

B) have firewire support

c) be under 200 (preferrably, but I'd pay more to have #1 & #2 met)

I don't care for SLI or Crossfire support. If it has it, fine. But it's not necessary.

thank!!!

Reading around xtremesystems and a few other systems, in addition to costing more than the DS3 the DQ6 also overclocks worse.

DS3 + PCI firewire card is cheaper, will overclock better.. what else can you ask for? :)

Reading around xtremesystems and a few other systems, in addition to costing more than the DS3 the DQ6 also overclocks worse.

DS3 + PCI firewire card is cheaper, will overclock better.. what else can you ask for? :)

THAT's not a bad idea... I had not thought of that.

Thanks. But then my firewire port on the front of my case would be useless, eh? Or is there a way I could connect the PCI-card to that case port from the inside?

The port on the front of the case is useless regardless.

99% of the issues I troubleshoot on my own machine and on other people's is because they are using the port on the front of the case instead of the one directly on the board. Everything from mice to MP3 players. One person's even began burning. It's best to use the port directly on the board than the case port.

Some will say this is nonsense, but this is what I have experienced. I hate those ports.

What I do is plug all the cables in and route them around to the front of the PC. Messy, but they're always there when I need them, and they always work. :)