The DIY Gentoo Linux Guide

likewhoa

I sort of asked this already but didn't get the simple yes or no I asked for - the only way (or at least the simplest way) to dual boot Gentoo and Windows is by installing Windows first, correct?

If there is a reason for not doing it this way I'd appreciate a reason why, but otherwise a simple yes or no would be perfect.

Yes, install windows first. I think the windows bootloader may interfere with GRUB or LILO but I'm not too sure.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any other questions? :cool:

yes. how come u forgot 1 important feature: Mandriva (btw, howd u know the last linux i tried was mandrake?;))(edit: ah yes i mention that in my previous post. goddamn jackdaniels, i think is hould stop. tomorrow needs work.) installs much easier. with a mouse and a few clicks. lol.

also, mandriva has a free version too.

hmm... and, if i really want tangible performance, i think ill go with Micro$oft stuff for now coz thats where all the games that needs the horsepower are... like u said, a *nix box can run on a Piii machine. play BF2142, it cannot.

interesting, thank u for the reply ;) i might actually try this out... i touched Fedoracore 6 the other day and i got a feeling theyre like taking a step backward from 5.... :confused:

Yes, install windows first. I think the windows bootloader may interfere with GRUB or LILO but I'm not too sure.

The problem is that no matter what OS you are dual booting with, Windows will always overwrite the bootloader, so you always want to install Windows first.

Great guide, thanks.

one way to not have to worry about the order in installing the OS's is to use another boot loader like i do. I use my USB stick to boot up linux,bsd,mac etc.. It uses a new bootloader called extlinux which is part of the syslinux package. I don't even use grub or lilo anymore because of this.

but this will be part of another guide of the many I will be making :)

It was a little rough for me at first. But after a couple successful installs I now find it very enjoyable to tinker around with my Gentoo install. I read and try things and don't get discouraged if I do something wrong. Most times it's an easy fix, only really screwed up my install once using some unsafe Cflags. I've got it down to the point now where I can boot the CD and be to a running Desktop with all of the eye candy in one day from a stage1.