The DIY Gentoo Linux Guide

likewhoa

I would have mentioned genkernel but my mommy told me i can't or else she take away my playstation :(

I don't like to mention it either because I think it defeats the purpose of gentoo but my Mommy wasn't here to read it so I got away with it and I still get to use my playstation..

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where's your sense of adventure Redbeaver? All that work on that fine OC and a little typing (OK a lot of typing or copying and pasting from this guide using putty) and you aren't willing to streamline a killer OS in there.. :)

define "a killer OS" and u might persuade me ;)

i had past my *nix time when the fbi came knocking on my door few years back:tooth:

define "a killer OS" and u might persuade me ;)

i had past my *nix time when the fbi came knocking on my door few years back:tooth:

in comparison to Mandriva Linux..

Mandriva Software List: | Gentoo Software List:

Kernel 2.6.17 | Kernel 2.6.18

GCC 4.1 | GCC 4.1.1

Mozilla 1.5.0.6 | Mozilla 1.7.13

X.org 7.1 | X.org 7.1

Glibc 2.4 | Glibc 2.4

OpenOffice 2.0.3 | OpenOffice 2.0.4

KDE 3.5.4 | KDE 3.5.5

Gnome 2.16 | Gnome 2.16.2

Xen 3.0 | Xen 3.0.2

Mandriva's 64bit package list contains only 3800 packages compare to Gentoo's ever growing list of as many as 23000 available packages for both 32/64bit kernels. also Mandriva does not take full advantage of your processors features, as most of it's packages are pre-compiled binaries, where as with gentoo you can compile all your packages using compiler flags that are meant for your CPU meaning more speed, stability and piece of mind knowing you are getting the most out of your overclocked hardware. did I mentioned all their packages are pre-compiled?

Lets talk about Price..

Mandriva Linux Power Pack (their best distribution) = $179,00-EUR

Gentoo Linux 2006.1 = FREE!!!

get the picture?

My point is if you want a Killer OS like my friend CPDMF pointed out. You want a Gentoo a distribution intended for enthusiasts and professionals with its own package management system called Portage. By default applications are compiled from source code on the user's system, rather than distributed as pre-compiled binary packages.

P.S the software list comparison above for Gentoo was showing the "stable" source packages,.. the list of unstable sources packages are:

Mandriva Software List: Gentoo Software List:

Kernel 2.6.17 | Kernel 2.6.20

GCC 4.1 | GCC 4.1.1

Mozilla 1.5.0.6 | Mozilla 1.7.13

N/A | Firefox 2.0.0.1

X.org 7.1 | X.org 7.2

Glibc 2.4 | Glibc 2.5

OpenOffice 2.0.3 | OpenOffice 2.1.0

KDE 3.5.4 | KDE 3.5.6

Gnome 2.16 | Gnome 2.16.2 *(stable)

Xen 3.0 | Xen 3.0.2

* means it's latest stable, no unstable version available because it just works :)

Any other questions? :cool:

no but i can sell you one :P

search the craigslist and buy yourself a cheapo system for like $50 bucks that will run linux for you :)

i got linux running on an old PII 600Mhz.

Not bad, but I actually do have a system I think I can make work. Problem is I need a small monitor for it. I'll have one eventually though. :D

Not bad, but I actually do have a system I think I can make work. Problem is I need a small monitor for it. I'll have one eventually though. :D

Don't worry about a monitor, just enable sshd and use putty for windows to remote in.

It's easy as, and then chuck apache on there, get a webserver going for all your goodies and you'll be grinning like a chesire cat :D Meow..

I sort of asked this already but didn't get the simple yes or no I asked for - the only way (or at least the simplest way) to dual boot Gentoo and Windows is by installing Windows first, correct?

If there is a reason for not doing it this way I'd appreciate a reason why, but otherwise a simple yes or no would be perfect.