Sign in to follow this  
DJSickWithIt

Anybody own or manage a computer building/repairing business?

I would not (do not) recommend overclocking to most people without making them FULLY AWARE of the risks involved.

I would not (do not) lie to anybody about my hobby of Overclocking either.

I build custom PCs on a per-request basis as a side business to my regular "day job" and the level of customization really depends on the customer.

Some people have me build them gaming machines because they want me to overclock it and test it for stability for them. Other people just want an internet machine and I don't even give them overclocking as an option so as not to confuse them.

It comes down to best judgement. Overclocking does after all void the cpu's warranty, so if you did overclock or encouraged someone to overclock you could be responsible for any failure due to overclocking. When I overclock a cpu on request for someone I always give them the "voids your warranty" disclaimer first to avoid any backlash. So, for obvious reasons, some customers wouldn't want to know about any warranty voiding procedures that you could perform for them.

Also, there's the darwin factor. If you tell someone to overclock and they fry their CPU becuase they don't know wtf they are doing, they might try to return it to you and then you'll have to either take it back or try to explain to them that it's their fault for messing up their CPU.

Overclocking is easy when you know what you are doing, but to put that much power in the hands of mere users is scary to me.

I build custom PCs on a per-request basis as a side business to my regular "day job" and the level of customization really depends on the customer.

Some people have me build them gaming machines because they want me to overclock it and test it for stability for them. Other people just want an internet machine and I don't even give them overclocking as an option so as not to confuse them.

It comes down to best judgement. Overclocking does after all void the cpu's warranty, so if you did overclock or encouraged someone to overclock you could be responsible for any failure due to overclocking. When I overclock a cpu on request for someone I always give them the "voids your warranty" disclaimer first to avoid any backlash. So, for obvious reasons, some customers wouldn't want to know about any warranty voiding procedures that you could perform for them.

Also, there's the darwin factor. If you tell someone to overclock and they fry their CPU becuase they don't know wtf they are doing, they might try to return it to you and then you'll have to either take it back or try to explain to them that it's their fault for messing up their CPU.

Overclocking is easy when you know what you are doing, but to put that much power in the hands of mere users is scary to me.

I completely agree with you, as I'm in the same boat in terms of building on a per-request basis. Sometimes overclocking comes up, but only when they want it and request my services...I never bother offering it if the system is going to be used for home/office uses, even a gaming machine for most people shouldn't be tinkered with, or at least a lot of casual gamers shouldn't be bothered with overclocking, as they'll probly end up spending more time screwing around with the overclock then gaming and getting pissed at you or something.

I never lie about my hobby either or about what I've killed or not, but knowing all I can tell them (in a nut shell) and someone still wants to go ahead with it then I don't have any issues with it.

Depending on the specific goal, something like gauranteeing a 10% overclock on all your machines wouldn't be TOO bad of an idea, if you were only dealing with motherboards and CPU's that you knew would be cable of a measly 10% overclock on the CPU...as you wouldn't have to worry about increased voltages or operating temperatures and you could technically say the machine is faster then the next guys. :cool: