Nvidia Vista drivers lawsuit?

uneedav8

The fact that Vista's launch has been delayed several years (from the old longhorn days in 2003) just shows how complex the OS must be. Not to mention that MS was still overhauling it's code in Q4 of 2006.

How can people expect nVidia to be extensively working on new drivers when the OS is still undergoing major revisions. Also, given the fact that the 8800' are a totally redesigned GFX architecture it is understandable that writing drivers for them is a long/tedious process.

These guys are the ones that buy the latest/greatest products and expect them to work perfectly; when in reality fir releases of products are generally a bit buggy and require software patches, driver updates and/or firmware upgrades to work properly.

Being Vista ready/compatible simply means that the hardware itself is designed to be fully compatible with the new DX10 GFX engine; but it is understandable that the drivers are in their infancy.

Yeah, I have to agree, these guys (Nathan in particular) are being unreasonable.

He is obviously the type of person with very little patience - A 'Give Me Instant Gratification NOW!" personality.

Personally, I think he is an imbecile to think that everything would work perfectly immediately after Vistas launch.

I checked out his nvidiaclassaction.org site, and I understand where he is coming from in general. If he means what he says in the "This site would be down instantly if" section, I don't think that he is actually asking for too much (an apology). Although his interpretation of a public apology may differ from NVidias, i.e. he expects a full press release, but NVidia just makes a statement in their fourms.

HOWEVER, he doesn't seem to understand what happens with a new OS launch, especially one as complcated as Vista.

The other thing I don't see 'Nathan' acknowledge is that not all 8800s are having issues with Vista, only some. I don't know what percentage of 8800's work vs those that don't work, but come on... He is just one of the unlucky 'Early-Adopters'.

I realize that on this forum, most people are aware of the risks associated with early-adoption with hardware & software (let alone the 2 combined) and either avoid it until most bugs have been worked out, or go ahead knowing that issues will probably arise.

It seems to me that he has never experienced a newly released OS or major hardware revision.

makes me proud to be an american to know that I can either shoot someone or sue them if they piss me off and make me whine like a little girl boo hoo

well that sums up what im gonna say...

either way, driver production for vista with all those new architecture is a classy lady... code length gone up 400% from what i saw and nvidia's achievements so far given the time restriction is pretty darn good...

oh well...

You got to love those updated driver programs. They can have just as many bugs in them as Windows. I updated my creative drivers and could not save my settings. I had to turn on my coax everytime I turn on my computer. Go into my settings in Creative sound and switch from mic back to coax to get it to turn on. Thanks to someone who didn't work for Creative made a little program I could put into my start up folder to keep my settings.

Go through all that just to play a newer game. As for Vista, WAIT a year and everything will finally be ready. If you like bugs, don't wait.

why are they trying to sue nvidia instead of microsoft?

they could get way more money that way, and they would actualy be sueing the right people for once.

wait, its Microsoft's job to make sure that all hardware works with there OS's? I don't think so. (unless your being sarcastic, then nevermind lol)

This kinda reminds me about the whole apple vs. adobe incident that happened a few months back. Apple issued a security update that rendered illustrator useless when you use the pathfinder tool and it took adobe quite awhile to fess up and just fix there own code.

wait, its Microsoft's job to make sure that all hardware works with there OS's? I don't think so. (unless your being sarcastic, then nevermind lol)

Though not being sarcastic, I though of the “WHQL Testing” when I read your comment. I’ve read some news that MS become tougher on driver signing, especially for 64-bit VISTA. Then, when I was looking for how tougher it could be on the internet, I hit this article: “Re: Only Signed Drivers To Run on Vista X64

I just laughed.