Sign in to follow this  
zarathrustra

8800gtx + Vista = *shudder*

Hi guys.

Well, it seems I have issues. I just installed Vista yesterday, and used the latest official Drivers. Now, the first odd thing I noticed, is that the Vista hardware rating only gave me 1.0 for Graphics, which I though was odd, so I ran 3dMark06 to check performance... nothing wrong there, 10,000ish marks.

Now last night I was rudely awoken buy a VERY loud, high pitched continuous beep. After dragging my self out of bed, I saw (heard) that it was coming from the speaker on my XFX 8800GTX. The screen was blank, and the system was non-responsive. So, I restarted my system. Wouldn't you know it... a couple of hours later I was again woken by the same high pitched scream.

After a bit of googling and thinking, I thought maybe it was happening when Vista went into sleep-mode. So, I selected sleep-mode from the start menu, and yes, a few seconds after the system goes to sleep, the 8800 starts SCREAMING and the system locks up.:eek2:

So... driver issue? lol.

I've had the card running in XP for a couple of months now, and have been issue free; except for the a short beep from the card when the system powers down, which I believe is common.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Cheers Guys.

Id start by either posting on XFX's forum or emailing there tech support, there may be some beta drivers that fix the issue, or they may be able to give you some information on how to resolve it. It's people that have problems like you are having that let others now that lead to them getting fixed.

thats the under-power whistle from the 8800gtx. Must be a bug with sleep mode underpowering it. I guess just shut down when you go to sleep for now and wait for better drivers.

Cheers boys. Yeah, there seem to be a few bugs relating to sleep mode under Vista. I put up a post on the nVidia forums, and I'll let XFX know about it.

I still have XP installed. Vista's there as a bit of a trial for me at this stage, but I must say I quite like it. :)