Sign in to follow this  
RunLoganRun

help on which DFI board

I really hate to chage the subject but is SLI 8800's in a 939 system really worth it? Wouldnt there be better performance with a C2D and a Single 8800GTS?

I really hate to chage the subject but is SLI 8800's in a 939 system really worth it? Wouldnt there be better performance with a C2D and a Single 8800GTS?

I wouldn't SLI two 8800's. Heck, even one 8800GTS should be good enough.

There would be better performance running a GTX with a C2D system, though.

Wouldnt there be better performance with a C2D and a Single 8800GTS?

If you're using very high resolutions, the GPU is the limiting factor.

That's why the original C2D benchmarks were all done at 1024X768 resolution. So everyone would be amazed at the framerates and make goofy fireworks viewing sounds.

oooh, aaaah!

Many may disagree. I am not basing my opinion on ownership, but rather, on browsing forums in addition to this one and reading people's experiences.

Get the normal Lanparty. The Expert seems like too much of a pain in the butt. I've heard it not work with certain RAM that worked fine in other computers(even other DFis), and of it having an even more stringent PSU standard than the normal lanparty, which is already picky as it is.

Here's the part where I'm probably talking out of my butt - so feel free to ignore this. My theory is, in a real board, if it's getting 11.6v and it needs 12v so it can send 1.5v to the CPU, a capacitor or something on the board will take a sec or two when the computer starts up and charge up to 12v, or to 1.5v. So that in spite of the lackluster charge the PSU supplies, there'll be enough stored on the board to give time for the caps to charge up before they lose their full charge as they power the stuff on the board. Something like that is what determines whether a board has good power handling/management or bad power handling/management.

As for RAM, I believe a well designed board with a decent BIOS will work with 90% of all RAM it is specified to, and should, unless it's blatantly out of spec(RAM that requires 0.5v above JEDEC to boot).. again, the expert displays this issue.

I used to think the lanparty series were the best, but the more I read around, the more I think all it takes is a good BIOS for a good nforce4 board if the hardware was somewhat competently designed, and that it's not the "DFI is the best overclocker there ever was for nforce4" I used to think it was.

Maybe the lanparty expert series didn't need all those different connectors and require a perfect PSU because they were so much better at handling power, but rather because they were so delicate and unable to deal with anything not perfect.

I hope someone else chimes in on this, even though I no longer have any upgrades planned for an nforce4 system it's still something I am interested in learning about.

P.S.

Does runloganrun the nick have anything to do with Charles Logan and Jack Bauer on the show 24, or is it just a random nick? :)

If you're using very high resolutions, the GPU is the limiting factor.

That's why the original C2D benchmarks were all done at 1024X768 resolution. So everyone would be amazed at the framerates and make goofy fireworks viewing sounds.

oooh, aaaah!

I wasnt basing may opinion on any reviews. I was basing it on personal experience. My point was that unless he's running super high res a C2D might be a better upgrade than another 939 chip. I got about 30k higher in Aquamark with my C2D @ 3.4Ghz over my OPteron 148 @ 3.ghz with my old 1900xt. I really dont think there will be that kind of jump moving to a 939 dual core.

Sign in to follow this