politbureau

Mitsubishi WD-57831

I've owned a LOT of HDTVs in my day...

Most recently:

- Pioneer 42" & 50" Plasmas

- Sony 50" XBR2 and 60" SXRD

- Panasonic 58" Plasma

- HP 58" DLP

And none of the above sets even comes close to comparing with this Mistubishi unit. I have rarely been blown away by any TVs picture quality - until I picked up this unit on the reccomendation on a friend who works in an AV store. He said the sales guys all hang around and watch it all day, and I can see why.

The richness of detail, ultra-deep blacks... just make me want to go back and watch it right now. It's one of those revelation products that has me going back and watching old DVDs and recorded HD content to see what I've been missing.

Highly reccomended to those in the market for a new set.

Cheers

Highly reccomended to those in the market for a new set.
Hell Ya It Is

I just got that TV yesterday. And finally got it hooked up today ( after a 7hr drive home ) and It kicks major arse.

Love the HD :drool: :drool: :drool:

Hell Ya It Is

I just got that TV yesterday. And finally got it hooked up today ( after a 7hr drive home ) and It kicks major arse.

Love the HD :drool: :drool: :drool:

Absolutely the best RP HD image I have seen. I would still put this a half point behind the Pioneer Plasmas, but for quality at this size and price, nothing comes close.

Let me know if you need some help tweaking - I have done a complete ISF calibration using test signals and a meter, and can give you the correct settings to get ~6500K and minimize the slight red push.

Cheers

Actually, I have a Mitsubishi WD-73727 DLP Set.

How about you send some of those tweaks my way. I'm not too good at calibrating tv's.

480P/720P/1080i

Contrast: 11

Brightness: 35

Color: 36

Tint: 34

Sharpness: 21

Color temp: Low

Picture mode: Natural

Video noise reduction: Off

SharpEdge: Off

DeepField: Off

Perfect Color

Magenta: 31

Red: 25

Yellow: 31

Green: 47

Cyan: 31

Blue: 31

Perfect Tint

Magenta: 50

Red: 28

Yellow: 28

Green: 57

Cyan: 48

Blue: 26

1080P

Same as above, except:

Contrast: 10

Brightness: 31

These are both over HDMI. 1080P sources, by their nature, become slightly brighter, thus the slightly reduced brightness and contrast levels. However unless you own an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player, I doubt this will ever be an issue (upconverted signals don't count).

This will give you between 6475K and 6525K, which is about the best you can expect from this or any other set. Those preferring a more 'vivid' image can certainly tweak to their own desires. The set has a slightly noticeable blue push, so such users may be more inclined to increase red and yellow to conpensate, which will result in this type of more saturated image.

Be sure to defeat all the processing modes (VNR & Sharpedge) to keep the image crisp, unless you are watching sub-par SD programming. I found the added signal noise using these modes more annoying than the benefit they added on HD programming.

Cheers!

These settings are alright, but I think there are some differences between your tv and mine.

I have a wd-72737, these settings seem to make the picture less colorfull. I'm going to try and find some more articles partaining to tweaking this TV.

Thanks for the settings, they're really good when I put color temp to "high"

These settings are alright, but I think there are some differences between your tv and mine.

I have a wd-72737, these settings seem to make the picture less colorfull. I'm going to try and find some more articles partaining to tweaking this TV.

Thanks for the settings, they're really good when I put color temp to "high"

Many people think that true 6500K colour looks "light" or less vivid, but those settings will get you as close as possible to the true neutral 6500K colour temp on your Mitsu set. Try playing a few of your favourite DVDs with these settings - I think you'll find the colours quite rich and the blacks deep and detail-filled.

Cheers