Sign in to follow this  
juvenile2k

corsair Hx620w not enough juice for 8800gtx?

Im currently running the rig in my signature but just recently got my 8800GTX AC3S edition from evga which runs at 626/1000 clock speeds. When I first got it ,it was getting bluescreens, artifacts, and the air coming out the back was hot enough to burn you. I clocked it to stock and ran it for a few days with no problems. I clocked it back up and the air doesnt seem as hot as it did I suppose maybe getting that hot produced a better seal on the heatsink, but now im getting freezing and artifacts at 626/1000. Evga thinks maybe my PSU may not be able to give the card enough juice. anyone have an idea?

i would guess you're pushing it pretty close,what kind of 12 volt does the hx620 have? Those 8800's eat power alive and you have quite a powerful setup already...do you have any friends with power supplies to test it on? :)

You've got 50 amps on that 12vt rail - it's plenty. I know the 8800 is a beast, but look at what I'm running - with the 520HX. That's 4 Raptors + all the other stuff. I'm thinking it's something else going on. Maybe your card is already at its limit from a clocking standpoint. All GPUs aren't created equal. you just might have gotten one that won't push any further. Definitely run a tester on your 620, and if that checks out, I'd run a load of benches to really put a strain your PSU - with your 8800 at stock. Crank up your fans; OC your 165 + RAM; lots of programs in the background - and see what happens. I bet you'll be fine, but if you're not - the Corsair might be defective. Good luck!

I can OC my GTS to 635 and I have way more stuff than you seem to have in your sig, and that’s with my CPU @ 3.6, I would be more inclined to believe that you have reach your MAX OC, not all cards are the same, I can't get past 635 whilst others have and can, drop down the OC on the CPU first, then try the OC on the card, then start your CPU OC again, Its not likely to be the PSU M8, unless its broken!!

I can OC my GTS to 635 and I have way more stuff than you seem to have in your sig, and that’s with my CPU @ 3.6, I would be more inclined to believe that you have reach your MAX OC, not all cards are the same, I can't get past 635 whilst others have and can, drop down the OC on the CPU first, then try the OC on the card, then start your CPU OC again, Its not likely to be the PSU M8, unless its broken!!

He speaks the truth :)

i GUARANTEE that the HX-620 has more than enough juice to power a Core2 + 8800GTX system, even with watercooling and a bunch of hdd's.

dual 8800's no I wouldn't want to do that, but a single 8800GTX and any platform you can think of? Definitely enough juice. (if you don't believe me, ask Yellowbeard as he can put you in touch with the support guys who have tested it themselves)

or you can ask technodanvan here who has the 520w Corsair, overclocked Core2, and an 8800GTX...

my hiper type r 580 should be enough juice when i go opteron dual core and 2gb ram

You should be fine, though the 580 is only rated for SLI on 6600's. I had a couple that were great with SLI's 7800gtxs & 7800gts. You should be good to go.