What is your town famous for?

OsamaBinAthlon+

Hmm, I actually live in Waterboro ME, nothing particularly famous here. Ive been to Stephen King's house, G. Bush has a home an hour or so from where I live. Ricky Craven (NASCAR WC Racer) is from ME. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was born and raised in Portland ME. Victoria Rowell of diagnosis murder and The Young & the Restless. Of course lobster, Patrick Dempsey of Grey's Anatomy, and Anna Belknap of CSI:NY are also from ME. Tim Mcgraw and Faith Hill named their child after Maine due to it being concieved here (big lol but it's true)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The town where I was raised (Thomaston, Ct.) was home to the Seth Thomas Clock Co. for well over 100 years. Seth Thomas built all kinds of clocks which were famous all over the world. The company was moved to Georgia in a merger in 1981.

The town where I presently live (Torrington) was the birthplace of John Brown, radical pre-Civil War abolitionist.

What :confused: Detroit Michigan :confused: Famous for anything :confused: I don't think so :rolleyes:

We build a few cars, recorded a few records, and we even won a couple hockey games. Other than that, this town is dead. ;)

Henley-On-Thames, Oxfordshire. Has high property prices, an annual Royal (river and rowing) Regatta (one of the better known ones), and the residences of a few aging/aged stars and artists (the late Dusty Springfield and George Harrison are the only ones that comes to mind atm - former residences rather, ha). Also the occasional arson attack lately. :eek:

Our not so small town, 50,000 (24,000 when I moved here in the early 60's), is famous for our Walla Walla Sweet Onions.

Also, it is the home of the Washington State Penitentiary. WSP is the home of "The Green River Killer".

Last, our area is becoming renown for its "Vino"; known as the Senoma Valley of the Pacific Northwest. We have some of the best wineries in the country. Two-Walla, as we sometimes are called, is on the same parallel as Bordeaux, France. The sandy soil is some of the best in the world for growing grapes.

As far as people, none that come to mind,

Must be too young to remember Robert Allen Zimmerman ;).

I live (and grew up) near a city known as the Nickel Capital of The World (ever hear the song Sudbury Saturday night by stompin' Tom?).

They've been mining/smelting/refining the stuff here for just over a hundred years.

The early years completely wiped out what was left of the vegetation in the area (after all the ancient white pine was logged out or used as fuel for their open bed roasters)

In fact it was so barren, NASA sent their astronauts here to practice their geology skills in preparation for the lunar landings.

The past 30 or so years of land reclamation/reforestation, have transformed the place, but if you pay attention, you can still see many of the ugly scars.

or city/nearby area whatever. you can also say if any 'famous' people came from there.

being very small but still having a big off castle & a cathidrel. sorry bad spelling, big church. also a river too.

im not bull .*ing but i sort of only live 6 house's & a river away from the castle.

if only i lived 6 doors down:rolleyes::)

Guest caffeinejunkie

I live in Youngstown, Ohio and you may know us for a few things:

1. 7th most dangerous town in America

2. Home of the second biggest drug bust ever (7 story warehouse packed with marijuana)

3. Birth place of playboy model Jennifer Walcott

4. Used to be one of the biggest steel producers in the US

5. There's an episode of City Confidential about a botched mob hit that happened here

As you can see I live in a nice quiet little town.