Windows XP installation reporting HD space incorrectly!

Mindripper2000

This is a really weird situation but let me tell you guys how it started. I have a hitachi deskstar SATA 3.0 250 gigabyte drive and I wanted to dedicate a 20 gig partition to linux so I booted up partition magic and attempted to create the separate parition. About 80% through, the partition failed.

I ran chkdsk first to fix whatever issues on my harddrive and the next time I started up, Windows XP reported that same 20 gigs missing out of 250!

So okay, I said that's fine, I'll just format my whole harddrive and install everything from scratch. That didn't seem to work either because the windows XP installation said I have 130 gigs out of 250 free. Now the funny thing is that partition magic shows the space correctly, the linux installation shows it correctly but windows does not!

Please help me, I need to get this straight as soon as possible.

Unfortunately SP:s are needed. You could slipstream the needed service packs with for example nLite on another computer; a recommended and safer option instead of updating an already installed system.

If you want to easily set up partitions before installing you could use Gparted Live-CD version and make whatever partitions you want. Probably you want Windows operating system to reside on a smaller partition (opinions varies: 15 - 30GB) and programs not very dependent on the operating system to reside on another partition.

Nevertheless if you prepare a smaller partition for windows and install it, even if not with slipstreamed SP:s, it should after SP:s have been installed be able to take full advantage of your larger disks.