Vista Ultimate 32-bit OEM Review [lotsa pics]

Redbeaver

I've used x64 XP with Sonar 5 which is a 64 bit DAW app and it was pretty cool. The mix didn't have that "icy clean" sound common to digital mix's done inside the box. My only gripe was the lack of support for the hardware I wanted to use. I'm really excited to see what happens with 64bit Vista, hopefully more vendors will jump onboard this time and Digital Pro-Audio will change forever!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent, looking good so far, could you please also document drivers and versions used also... Chuurrr.

Do I understand you correctly that you've installed 32bit apps on your 64bit OS and they run fine?.

All the ones that I need to get by on a day to day basis has worked fine so far......the rest I can live without if they decide to give me problems. But from what I have heard......some programs working under xp may not working in Vista 32 also.

HOLY CRIPES!!!

that was a pain lol... tomorrow i will make an update on the first post... but FINALLY got it up and running... and on the RAID-0 too ;)

SLI is also up and running, as well as 5.1 on the Audigy. mind u, winamp doesnt chew it properly as it outputs on 2.1, but playing MP3 on Media Player works 5.1 just fine, i havent tested any games...

playing around with a few features, MSN Messenger works fine, Azureus wont run as i had to install Java JRE6 instead of the 5.10 i used in BETA and i think thats why i wont work... uTorrent works fine tho....

BitDefender is an optional through winUpdate (which is pretty darn cool), and lotsa other devices r installed automatically, such as the SiliconRAID and Marvel Ethernet... Copperhead is good, but my Nostromo doesnt have Vista driver so it works like an extra keyboard, period. :(

I tries only the 32 coz lotsa drivers seems to be troublesome wit the x64, and altho every geek (ok, almost every geek) in the planet wants to utilize it, it just doesnt play that well. My oppinion stands, if ur hardware supports it, then by all means, it IS the better performer... or else, skip it.

First impression? PRETTY! :D im a sucker for these stuff, afterall i tried Mac's Tiger in the office and i think its safe to say this thing is just as, if not more, pretty as Macs... the little audio to start with, how the screen fades n stuff, everything... nice....

cya tomorrow :)

First impression? PRETTY! :D im a sucker for these stuff, afterall i tried Mac's Tiger in the office and i think its safe to say this thing is just as, if not more, pretty as Macs... the little audio to start with, how the screen fades n stuff, everything... nice....

I was waiting forever for this to be released just to have something new to play with. I have been messing around with vista for a few days now and I'm bored of it.....even installed some more of the geek utility gadgets.

Can't wait for MAC OS X 10.5 LEOPARD to be released in 2 to 3 months hopefully.....that will be a very fun OS to use.....Hopefully it will run as good as Tiger on my G5 :rolleyes:

Hey Redbeaver, did you by any chance not put the activation code in during the install and got to where it lets you choose which version to install? Even though OEM is suppose to be either or......I just wondering if there is a possibility that both x86 and x64 or on the OEM Ultimate DVD?

I ordered another copy of X64 hoping to save some cash with the free upgrade.

Has anyone received a copy of the upgrade yet? I ordered it on the 24th and am impatiently waiting...

Order Status : COA validated

hmm i just got the "activate as soon as its online" option during install. the rest is hidden in the background. definitely no screen that lets me choose which version to install, not even x86/x64. i think the OEM is just limited to the version and x86 OR x64.

@Sgarv1, "ANOTHER" copy???

well wit the upgrade, there's lotsa link outthere on how to do a clean install with it...

but, um, dont forget ur signature too ;)

hmm i just got the "activate as soon as its online" option during install. the rest is hidden in the background. definitely no screen that lets me choose which version to install, not even x86/x64. i think the OEM is just limited to the version and x86 OR x64.

Ok, that was the only reason I was curious about this

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/show...postcount=1299

I tried it but It did not let install any other versions, it just said your trying to install a 64 bit app on 32 bit hardware. I'm ok with the 64.....I just thought it would be cool if you could install the 32 also without buying another disk.

@Sgarv1, "ANOTHER" copy???

well wit the upgrade, there's lotsa link outthere on how to do a clean install with it...

but, um, dont forget ur signature too ;)

Yeah, Ive been running X64 for about a year and a half. I thought I wanted a 64 bit Vista too.

Good work RB...sounds like you got a some work ahead of you...

Have you tried installing it on a single drive yet...? I have had no issues installing it on a single drive on a partition that wasnt the main boot drive...

Glad to hear you got 5.1 sound going....I would love to have more than 2 channel audio out of the onboard 5.1...;)

Yes, back in BETA2 tho'... used my old PATA-133 Maxtor 40Gb, but again, that's the only drive connected....

Its only with this retail OEM Ultimate that i tried to install it on RAID and unless its the bootable it wont go...

i just updated the post again on the driver version n stuff... will post more pics later on...

Slightly more updates is the Windows Photo Gallery screwed up on the colour profiles n it sucks. stil lookin for answers on that one...