Sign in to follow this  
opterondave

looking at upgrading any ideas what to get

Hi all,

In a mild resurrection of this thread, I'm also looking to upgrade. Looking at a 170 from Newegg, only $10 more than a 165 at current prices. From what I've read thus far, I shouldn't have much to worry about going from single to dual. Having a lil issue between steppings though, what should I look for / look out for?

Hi all,

In a mild resurrection of this thread, I'm also looking to upgrade. Looking at a 170 from Newegg, only $10 more than a 165 at current prices. From what I've read thus far, I shouldn't have much to worry about going from single to dual. Having a lil issue between steppings though, what should I look for / look out for?

Typically the 170 and 165 OC the same, but usually you only need the 10x multiplier if you have ddr400 ram, both of you have ddr 500, so using a 165 and the 9 multiplier shouldnt be an issue. I don't know if newegg is still sending out good steppings... I got lucky and got a ccbbe 4 months ago off newegg

As far as HDs are concerned, I was looking to get 2x WD3200YS and raid those. As it is now, I have one 120gb with the OS and storage on it in 2 partitions, and an extra 150 for storage.

I'm thinking an Opteron first though, since I have enough space for what I require now. I've seen people here in the forums with a few 165/170's that are for sale, I was wondering which are the better steppings to get out of the already wonderful processor line.

I received an opteron 165 from Newegg last week. CCBBE 0610.

Look over the GGG club for some good steppings.

If you want to choose your stepping, ebay would be a good place to start. Retailers generally are a luck of the draw as far as steppings go.

I see entries for your stepping in the GGG listing, among others with similar steppings, and ebay has a LCB9E 0651RPMW Opteron 170 for a decent price I might get. Only a few GGG entries for that stepping, although the seller advertises that he hit 2.8.

Also found a Opteron 165 CCBWE 055OUPMW, which is more common in the GGG for about the same price. Any thoughts between the two?

They seems about the same to me...

If you are going to buy either of those 2 , take the one with the longer warranty time left.

I see entries for your stepping in the GGG listing, among others with similar steppings, and ebay has a LCB9E 0651RPMW Opteron 170 for a decent price I might get. Only a few GGG entries for that stepping, although the seller advertises that he hit 2.8.

Also found a Opteron 165 CCBWE 055OUPMW, which is more common in the GGG for about the same price. Any thoughts between the two?

They seems about the same to me...

I highly doubt that 0550 will hit 3ghz. I had one that could only do 2.7ghz. I'd get the newer one if I was you.

If you have over $400 usd (by my calculations you do) i would sugest a budget C2D build. However i am not sure about prices that you have to pay in scottland.

e4300 $160 usd

650i MB $120 usd

2x1gb 667 $120 usd

In my opinion going to a dual core 939 is not going to increase your gaming performace over your 148 @ 2.9ghz. I am a long time AMD fan but after using the C2D i dont think the 939 can compete. My girlfriend is in a very similar situation with a Opty 146 and a 7900gt. I plan on getting the parts i mentioned above for her rig (used mostly for gaming).

Raiderfan - Since I can't find as much info on the LCB9E steppings, its that the newer one? What Ive found has had good results though, I think I'm going to go for it.

Sign in to follow this