DFI Infinity 975X/G Bios & Basic Overclocking Advice Needed

I am currently building my first Intel system & have just put together the following

DFI Infinity 975X/G

Pentium 4 630 (E6600 Ordered)

2 X 512MB DDR2 800 (Cheep RAM to get me going until I know what I need)

600W PSU

The shipped BIOS version was 31/07/06 & after reading all I could find about the 975 on this forum I decided to flash it to the latest BIOS 12/01/06. I know what you are thinking thats an older BIOS but its not its the latest one & all I can think is someone at DFI had a little typo on the date Click Here

Anyway there is nothing wrong with the system other than its crap slow with the P4 the problem I have is I dont understand what all the functions do in the new Bios.

The original manual that came with the board covered the original BIOS but now I have flashed it things are different. I have downloaded the manual from DFI but its the same revision as I already got.

I dont need an answer to all the items just the ones in red if anyone can help.

On the Genie BIOS screen there was originally

DRAM Timing & Config

Over Clock Mode Set

Easy Overclocking

Ratio & Clock Setting

FSB 800MHZ CPU Enhanced Mode

CPU Clock Ratio

CPU Clock Setting

O.C. Failed Control

PCIE Clock Sync With

PCIE Clock Setting

SATA Clock Sync With

CPU & PCIE Clock Turbo

CPU Turbo Add On Speed

PCIE Turbo Add On Speed

Voltage Setting

CPU Vid Offset Setting

Default CPU Voltage

CPU VTT Voltage Setting

DRAM Voltage Setting

NB Chip Voltage Setting

Miscellaneous

Auto Detect PCI Setting

Spread Spectrum

Diff Output AMP Control

CPU Clock0 Skew Control

CPU Clock1 Skew Control

Now the new Genie BIOS screen shows

DRAM Timing & Config

PPM Function (Whats This)

Ratio & Clock Setting

CPU Clock Setting (CPU Multiplier Has Gone why)

PCIE Clock Setting

SATA Clock Sync With

Voltage Setting

CPU Vid Offset Setting

Default CPU Voltage

CPU VTT Voltage Setting (Why do I need this)

DRAM Voltage Setting

NB Chip Voltage Setting

Miscellaneous

Auto Detect PCI Clk

Spread Spectrum

Memory Hole Remapping

Hi Chump,

You have the 1st December 2006 BIOS (US date format). This seems to be one of the better revisions for most people.

For your other settings, there is a pretty comprehensive guide put together by Technodanvan over at -dare i say it- 'DFI-Club',(http://csd.dficlub.org/pgpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=71) which will explain most of the settings for you.

There is also a wealth of info here http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64701 which most of the info was gathered from.

Hi Chump,

You have the 1st December 2006 BIOS (US date format). This seems to be one of the better revisions for most people.

For your other settings, there is a pretty comprehensive guide put together by Technodanvan over at -dare i say it- 'DFI-Club',(http://csd.dficlub.org/pgpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=71) which will explain most of the settings for you.

There is also a wealth of info here http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64701 which most of the info was gathered from.

Thanks for going easy on me that date thing was a real Chump question I must have had a funny five when I wrote it sorry.

Thanks for the links I had already skimmed through the DIY street one but missed the information I needed because I read it before I purchased the board & obviously it meant nothing to me at that time.

The other link is brilliant much the same stuff just tidied up & a lot shorter.

Can’t wait to get my e6600 after reading these links

Answers For Anyone Interested.

Now the new Genie BIOS screen shows (12/01/06 BIOS)

DRAM Timing & Config

PPM Function (Whats This) Pulse Phase Modulation best left off.

Ratio & Clock Setting

CPU Clock Setting (CPU Multiplier Has Gone why) Still Don't Know but I am told the Infinity does not have it

PCIE Clock Setting

SATA Clock Sync With

Voltage Setting

CPU Vid Offset Setting

Default CPU Voltage

CPU VTT Voltage Setting (Why do I need this) Vtt is a reference drive voltage (not vcore) for the cpu & you shouldn't need to adjust it

DRAM Voltage Setting

NB Chip Voltage Setting

Miscellaneous

Auto Detect PCI Clk

Spread Spectrum

Memory Hole Remapping

There is no changing the CPU multiplier on the Infinity, dunno why but it just isn't there.

CPU Clock Setting is your FSB (or HTT as it was called on the nf4 Lanparty's)

CPU VTT is your base CPU voltage applied, and can be modified with the CPU VID Offset setting.

I don't believe there is a way to alter the PCI-E voltage on this board, it shouldn't be necessary anyways.

Thanks technodanvan for the reply but now I am confused again Raju said vtt was "vtt is pcie drive voltage.." on page 7 post 133 of the http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64701 sticky.

Can anyone clarify what "CPU VTT Voltage Setting" is & what it does

P.S perhaps I worded the title a little bit wrong I have a grasp of the basics of overclocking stuff its just I don’t have any experience with Intel so all tips are gratefully accepted even though the specs in the 2 links above aught to keep me happy for a while.

sorry my mistake on pcie and vtt. Vtt is a reference drive voltage (not vcore) for the cpu.

What you need to know as an overclocker is this, VTT is ok left at default for the most part, at least with what 99% of us do with pc's, you can tinker it a little but anything over 1.25 or so does not provide any addtional gain on this board...

Sorry to be a bit of a pain but I like to know what stuff does before I mess with it.

So "VVT is a reference drive voltage (not vcore) for the cpu" & I shouldn’t need to mess with it fair enough.

It’s just that I have not had the same answer to the question what is "CPU VTT Voltage Setting" anywhere & I have found 20-30 references in google to the VVT.

The explanation on vr-zone seems to imply that the VVT reference goes someway towards CPU FSB voltage & may have a large effect on the FSB perhaps this is something the quad cores may benefit from.

you mean VTT, what's VVT?

it's become a myth of late. If you travel around the web you will find a myriad of different opinions, gtl ref tuning brings more benefits than vtt in most cases. Your concern is with the infinity is it not? In which case VTT will do little for you.

regards

Raja

you mean VTT, not VVT (whats that?)

it's become a myth of late. If you travel around the web you will find a myriad of different opinions, gtl ref tuning brings more benefits than vtt in most cases. Your concern is with the infinity is it not? In which case VTT will do little for you.

knock yourself out here for fun with vtt and gtl if you have a desire to get technical

http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthrea...p?p=191#post191

'VTT, sometimes referred to in the Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) as the FSB Termination Voltage, provides the low level signaling bias needed for the processors, chipsets, and all other devices on the bus to communicate.'

Is that good enough to satisfy your needs?

bear in mind on dual cores GTL ref tuning does little also. I have used overclocks with high vtt's and tuned gtl's on dual cores the differeence is nigh on non existent. That's direct experience rather than myth and armchair theory..

regards

Raja

"you mean VTT, not VVT (whats that?)"

Sorry I do mean VTT it was a slip up on my part VVT stands for Variable Valve Timing absolutely nothing to do with computers but I was also reading a post on the Skyline (car) forum about VVT & HKS cams & must of got mixed up again (too many projects going on in my head)

"knock yourself out here for fun with vtt and gtl if you have a desire to get technical

http://www.thetechrepository.com/sho...?p=191#post191"

Excellent that’s exactly what I was looking for thanks.

"'VTT, sometimes referred to in the Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) as the FSB Termination Voltage, provides the low level signaling bias needed for the processors, chipsets, and all other devices on the bus to communicate.'

Is that good enough to satisfy your needs?"

Thats the explanation I like the sound of so that’s what I will run with.

"bear in mind on dual cores GTL ref tuning does little also. I have used overclocks with high vtt's and tuned gtl's on dual cores the differeence is nigh on non existent. That's direct experience rather than myth and armchair theory.."

I have read & re-read your post/sticky & have also trudged through the OCDB your information from real experience is gratefully received & very highly regarded by me.

The thing that gets me are the amount of people that don’t know or care about understanding what they are doing. As a mechanical engineer it goes 100% against my logical thought process to wade in to something without the vaguest of clues to what its function is.

I just can’t do (switch it off or leave it alone you don’t need it) never have & never will.

Thank you for all your help Raju

not all bios terms are immediately logical, vtt is one control that uptil now on dual cores has always been raised by users just because they feel comfortable doing so. I only understand some of the voltage drive not all. my understanding of vtt is more like a voltage amplifier that has an ideal range of operation, as with all amps after a certain point you actually encourage clipping and distortion within a circuit. matching drive impedences allows ideal current flow. For further explanation freecableguy is your huckleberry. There are 2 ways to success in ocing one is guides the other is graft. I started off with guides initially. Nowadays I use 80 percent graft and keep close contact with good friends and we pass each other tips via direct experience. Some of the guys I know from the street are pioneers. What I'm trying to say is that even 40 percent of electronic understanding is not aways required, I always encourage graft, rgone is the same. Though you were in fact correct asking about vtt, as I needed to learn about it too. bear in mind things are not linear once you move out of spec, you will have to become a pioneer yourself to push farther than the crowd. What you have to bear in mind is most guys are moderate overclockers who care little for technical talk. Having more insight into electronics can help you oc further but tbh my knowledge is limited to only what I can understand myself. Rather than lead you astray I would say register at the tech repository and get your questions answered by some one who actually knows what they're talkin about rather than me guessing with my limited elec knowledge. Or pick up the board and just go for it...Right now I got 2 friends breathing down my neck on ram speed and fsb and we've all pushed out further than ever before.

regards

raja

My understanding is limited also & I am certainly no genius.

I also believe that you can go to a certain point before you reach a clipping point however I take your point that it really has no bearing on the Infinity & at the moment having grasped the concept of what it does I will leave it alone & concentrate on the Graft bit having read everything I can find its time to play.

I just got my e6600 & its L627B075 which is nice as I hear the B are good.

Triple EEEEEEEEEEEK straight out of the box following your guide I booted at 350fsb 1.3v & its running Orthos Stress Prime 2004 now :eek:

This setup is insane I have only had it 20 minutes and its s**t all over my Opty 144 & 165 straight out of the box :eek:

20 Minutes & my RAM & stock heatsinks are useless :eek:

What is everybody using to test RAM I am using Memtest 3.2 & although it tests the RAM fine it doesn’t report the chipset type or RAM speed.