Getting a new Opteron...

Hey , i just joined up. I have a new Opteron 170 on the way and i'm wondering do i need to update my bios for it? I have seen a few around but i'm not really sure which one should i use. Thanks

6/23 bios should support Opteron without any problems (I know the 7/04-2BTA bios that is extremely popular supports Opterons...but since I haven't used one of these boards in about 8 months or more, I'll defer to current owners of this board to answer properly)

Welcome to the “Street”

Try the BIOS you have now see how that performs making sure you follow correct CMOS clear procedures before swapping out the CPU’s.

May I also suggest reading; The Definitive DFI AMD Overclocking Guide even if you’re not planning to overclocking. It is filled with all kinds of info about your BIOS settings. Understanding those settings will take you a lot farther with your rig.

Searching the Stock Speed Database (SSDB) and Overclocking Database (OCDB). See what others use for memory timings and take note of the BIOS versions.

This is a great Opteron support thread. Socket 939 - Unofficial Opteron 939.

Good luck and if you have any other questions post, post and post. We love to help. :)

Welcome to the “Street”

Try the BIOS you have now see how that performs making sure you follow correct CMOS clear procedures before swapping out the CPU’s.

May I also suggest reading; The Definitive DFI AMD Overclocking Guide even if you’re not planning to overclocking. It is filled with all kinds of info about your BIOS settings. Understanding those settings will take you a lot farther with your rig.

Searching the Stock Speed Database (SSDB) and Overclocking Database (OCDB). See what others use for memory timings and take note of the BIOS versions.

This is a great Opteron support thread. Socket 939 - Unofficial Opteron 939.

Good luck and if you have any other questions post, post and post. We love to help. :)

Thanks for the links tasr, i will check them out. :) ...and thank you guys for the input. I'll have to read up on tmod's cd. Cheers!

Ok i got my Opty and now i'm having a problem with my temps running an XP90. So far stability is not an issue ([email protected]) but my temp readings in both core temp beta and mbm5 are getting to 70C while running orthos and it's freakin me out. What is weird is when i touch the heatsink while priming it is cool to the touch with only a slight feel of heat on the bottom of the heatpipes. I was thinking it might be the bios i'm using (6/23/05) on my DFI LP Ultra-D. I haven't tried switching yet because so far i haven't seen any reason to do so but maybe it doesn't read the Opty temps very good? I've been contemplating on putting the stock heatsink on, which i believe has 4 heatpipes, and i read that it's just as good as the XP90. But i don't really want to take out the mobo to do that. Anybody have a tip or solution?

Hello,

Is the XP-90 new or old/was working on another cpu?

What thermal paste are you using/how did you apply it?

I have been using it for about a yr and a half. It has worked great on a 3000+ Venice(o'ced to 1.6V) and a 3700+ Sandy(o'ced to 1.55V). I used As5 and smoothed it out to cover the whole IHS using a plastic baggy. Then applied the rest to the Xp90 rubbing it in and then wiped it off.

I'm running a very similar setup but with a XP120 and slightly lower clocks/vcore. My core temps are at 57/65C and CPU temp 60C under Orthos so your temp seems reasonable. Keep in mind your chip is drawing a lot of power (I'm guessing it's TDP is 89W or more) especially overclocked. Also Coretemp readings not necessarily accurate.

BTW is the heatsink at the corner of your mb (next to ram slots) burning hot to the touch?