Memory Testing Software ???

Hi!

After setting up my new system I ran Memtest 1.70. I received a failure on Test #5. I tested each memory stick individually and found one to be the culprit. I tested it in my wife's computer and received the exact same error at the exact addresses. Changing the test location from DIMM1 to DIMM2 had no effect and relaxing the memory settings in the BIOS had no effect.

I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic and received no errors. I also ran the HCI Memtest and recieved errors on that one stick.

My first question is which of these tests, if any, can be considered definitive or the most accurate/relevant?

My second question, is this really a problem as I have had no issue what so ever with my sytem. The set-up and installation was flawless and I have had no crashes or freezes running benchmarks or playing games?

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions?

ssbf John

Any memory errors are a problem. If you received the same error at stock settings on two different systems the ram needs to be replaced.

There could be a couple of different reasons why no errors were obtained in the Windows Memory Diagnostic test.

MemTest86 and Windows Memory Diagnostic basically do the same tests but use different algorithms for those test. The Windows Memory Diagnostic test may not have run long enough to find the error.

Depending on which default tests were run, the Windows Memory Diagnostic test equivalent of MemTest86 may not have been used.

Memtest86 and Windows Memory Diagnostic are each faster then the other at finding certain errors.

Buts it's really irrelevant to your situation. Your ram is faulty and should be replaced.

Any operating will restrict programs from accessing certain memory locations.

If the faulty address is located there, that would explain why the Windows based memory program cannot detect it.