Some AGP advice needed

Camojoe

I want to extend the life of my machine for a while longer before moving over to PCI, Core2Duo etc etc.

I currently have the following:

AMD64 3200+

1GB RAM

Radeon X800PRO AGP

I have been looking at the following cards:

7600GT

- This seems to be quite a good card at a decent price, even here in South Africa.

7800GS 256MB

- Someone recommended this card over the 7600GT, by unlocking some of the pipes wit hsomething like Rivatuner, but I have read that it is not really possible for the 7 Series cards.

Gainward Bliss 7800GS 512MB Golden Sample

-How does this card compare to the 256MB 7800GS?

-It is double the price of the 7600GT, but I do not *really* want to spend that much, unless the performance gain will be tremendous.

ATI X1950PRO

-I believe this a good card to get but also expensive... but cant find it in SA. Depending on recommendation etc. I might look at importing it, depending on price etc.

I do not really want to spend a fortune to extend my machine's lifespan and I have been fairly happy with the current configuration (easy to please you see *grin*) The current machine will become a Media Centre when I upgrade to my new machine later this year.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Well, the 1950pro is easily the best card but if it's more than $20-30 more than the 7800GS it's not worth it really.

There is very little difference in performance between the 512 and 256 versions of the GS. I've owned a 7800GS agp myself and with my 3.9GHz P4 it could break 100k in AQ3.

P.S. I strongly suggest you fill out a signature containing the info about your rig that mine does. It can be plain text. It helps us help you.

I'd not bother moving to a 7600 it'll barely be better than what you've got. At least, not worth the money dropped on it.

Check this out:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/graphics/charts.html

the 7600 won't give you much beyond SM3 support.

the 7800 will give you a bit of a boost and almost free AA and AF

I have the X1950PRO so I am obviously biased to this but it made a big difference coming from my 6800. I can use AA and AF in FEAR and run most other games at my monitors max res (1280x1024)

Another X1950 Pro owner here.

Just some words of advice, you need quite a beefy PSU for this bad boy to work. Even mine seems to be struggling! But I could also have a faulty card.

It is a very nice card. I picked mine up in the uk for £146 which I was quite happy to pay.

I can play Counter Strike maxed out comfortably.

Also in order to keep this thing cool I need to run the stock cooler at 100% which means it is quite noisy. I think that there are some X1950's from Powercolour which have a better cooling solution than on the Sapphire which I have. I am definately gonna have to go all Zalman on mine :)

In all honesty though mate, If you can hang out till a little while later, I would save the money and then proceed with your plans to go Core 2, PCI-E etc.

Plus it means you get a bit more value out of your current system!