Only half my RAM being detected! Help!

When building my computer, I made sure that I was future-proofed in terms of RAM, so I installed 4GB of RAM (4 x 1GB sticks). My problem is that the BIOS only detects 2558 MB not the full 4096 MB; I know Windows will only recognise 2GB at the moment, but the BIOS should see it all.

This is the description MemTest86+ gives me:

Athlon 64 X2 2612 Mhz

L1 Cache 128k 21410 mb/s

L2 Cache 1024k 5319 mb/s

Memory 2559m 1700 mb/s

Chipset: nVidia nForce (ECC: Disabled)

Settings: RAM: 163 Mhz (DDR326) /cas: 2.5-3-3-7/ Dual Channel (128 bits)

I have also tried many different RAM combinations in the slots:

Ones which worked:

1 & 2

1 & 3

1 & 2 & 3 & 4 (Obviously I can run Windows as normal, but all of my RAM is not being detected.)

Ones which didn't (I know they don't, as the computer won't boot, and I get a series of long beeps.):

1 & 4

3 & 4

1 & 2 & 3

1 & 2 & 4

1 & 3 & 4

I've also set my BIOS back to it's original state and it still doesn't detect the extra 2GB.

Can anybody help me solve this?

Thanks for any help!

Hi there,

since your using an expert, why dont you bring it to stock first? You can reload it later right?

Did you disable cpc?

did you put the default timings and voltage (for the ram)

edit, before you mess around the bios, check in cpu-z , you should be able to see all four sticks at the SPD section.(AKA, your system sees your ram ,but windows don't.)

Thanks for the reply.

After bringing it back to stock, disabling cpc, and restoring the default timings and voltage, the BIOS still reads 2GB.

What should I try next?

you have to put in the timings manually.

Does it detect the other two gigs when you put em in seperately?

what do you get from cpu-z?If you don't know what does cpu-z means, cpu-z is a program. go google it ,download it , and read it.

please fill in a signature.what version of windows are you using?

you have to put in the timings manually.

Yes I did put the timings back to their original value manually.

Does it detect the other two gigs when you put em in seperately?

Yes, it detects the other sets of RAM when I put them in seperately.

what do you get from cpu-z?If you don't know what does cpu-z means, cpu-z is a program. go google it ,download it , and read it.

please fill in a signature.what version of windows are you using?

I'm using Windows Vista, but it shouldn't matter, as even the BIOS detects only 2.5 GB. I tried out CPU-Z, but in the 'Memory' tab I was only told the amount I have, the other values were greyed out.

I'm beginning to this think may have something to do with lack of power to the memory slots, but I don't know how this can be, as I have a 850W PSU. Also, my DRAM Power LED is light orange colour, maybe this is an indication?

Could this be the case?

Hello,

Have you done this?

Advanced chipset features.

Memory hole for PCI MMIO = enabled.

And do this. ;)

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/profile.php?do=editsignature

Wow! BIOS and Windows now say I have 3.5GB! However, for some reason, the sound coming from my speakers is EXTREMELY crackly and it's unbearable, and I still don't have the full 4GB. What should I try next?

I have now disabled SLI Broadcast Aperture, and the BIOS tells me I now have 3.9GB of memory (Windows says 3.75GB). It seems like I may have to disable something else aswell, would anyone know what it could be?

I also still get the horrible crackling from my speakers. Any way to fix this except disabling "Memory hole for PCI MMIO"?