Orthos issues - works, then doesn't

I ran orthos a few times on what was my stable overclock after loading it from the CMOS save.

It failed in two seconds on blend, at 1024k, then passed on CPU for enough time for me to say something isn't right.

Since high FFTs is RAM, I tried running windows memtest.

In my experience, if SP2004/prime95/orthos at high ffts for RAM fails in 20 seconds, memtest will fail in 10. If orthos at high ffts fails in 3 seconds, memtest won't even bother giving me errors, the computer will freeze up, then I'll have to shut it down myself.

So I ran memtest, and.. it worked. Not eight hours, or even five minutes, but long enough for me to think something wasn't right.

Then I ran orthos again at blend, and high ffts, and it passed, as it did before, and continued going... for several minutes, after failing in that same windows boot after 2-3 seconds.

So far, this overclock has been fine for doing games, and other CPU/memory intensive stuff that would fail if orthos were inclined to fail after 10 seconds.

Everything near the board is cold, the CPU is under 30c coretemp, the ram is cool to the touch, the southbridge has a large passive cooler so it is slightly warm, the northtbridge has a waterblock on it, and air from the radiator which is on the window is passing over the board at all times.

I am confused as hell as to what's going on here, I am using the F10 BIOS.

edit: I just tried unrarring a huge file, and it went fine.. this is the kind of stuff that ceases to work when orthos ram test fails after three seconds.

:(

Before I left this morning I put memtest bootable CD in at 3.8 GHz, DDR9fiftysomething, and when I got home it showed seven hours passed, 25 successful passes, and 0 errors.

Someone's screwing with me. D:

varying system loads can make a difference at times to an orthos failure. Run on a high oc near or just after bootup when files are caching and it will trip at times, and later run for hours. Could be so many things like vcore/vnb and vdimm as well as timings.

There are no guarantees in overclocking stability with any stress testing tool, running a combination is always best. I have found variance too in some situations. Combinations of 3dmarks, OCCT and Orthos blend work well. I donn't rely on any one tool as a gauge too much, test out your rig with your normal everyday tasks too. 4 hour runs of OCCT are a good starting point without waiting for 8 hour orthos runs to fail in the 7-8th hour. Running Orthos and 3dmark03 together giives her some strain too, or even try OCCT and 3dmark03 looped for a couple of hours for a quick banging hit, to see if she'll trip up before you go for longer runs, drawing power from all areas of the board together is best, especially hitting pcie which orthos on it's own misses. I have had overcocks pass orthos for a long time then fail at 3d games with high ae in minutes. So now when I oc for a db entry to save me (the limited time I have) 3dmark03 and OCCT running together will be used for a few hours just as a preliminary hardcore gauge, followed by a couple of hours of gaming before any long orthos run..

Others have their own methods, but I have limited time to sit thru 8-12 hour runs, only to see a failure/pass and then have to start again. Use whatever method you can to generate stress to shorten the failure time frame and then bang on the long run after...

regards

Raja

I found a pattern.

When I first turn the system on, an overclock is unstable. After a while, it is more stable, after another reboot or two it's 99% stable and can run benchmarks, orthos, 3dmark and dnetc until I eventually turn it off a day or two later.