Street Bar & Grill

Angry_Games

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn that's expensive!:eek2: I'm getting a used identical engine (35,000 miles) installed in my car for only $1700. That includes the price of the engine, new motor mounts, a new radiator and labor. Retail price of my engine is $3000 and I'm getting it all done for about half that.

It might be cheaper to get a new transmission vice rebuild the old one. I would definitely look into that to try to save some money.

Well speaking of car trouble my transmission decided it doesn't want to shift out of first gear. Can't fix it myself since it is too complicated for me with all the electrical crap and junk that these newer cars/trucks have now days. Gonna cost me $2100 to have it rebuilt and have the transfer case fixed too since it has a leak apparently.

Well the shop it is at is supposed to be the best in town and I know the guy that works there and he is good at what he does. You know anything about if 97 Dodge Rams being problematic? I'd assume this one went out because the previous owner probably drove it pretty hard.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Doc,

In an earlier post concerning transmissions, you mentioned Lucas tranny supplement. Can you shed some light on that recommendation? Is it specifically for automatic transmissions? Or manual also? Is it a friction reduction agent, cleaner or some other magic potion?

Why do you recommend it?

Hey Doc,

In an earlier post concerning transmissions, you mentioned Lucas tranny supplement. Can you shed some light on that recommendation? Is it specifically for automatic transmissions? Or manual also? Is it a friction reduction agent, cleaner or some other magic potion?

Why do you recommend it?

Lucas makes some good stuff, but another one to consider is LubeGard.

My dad usually always puts this stuff in when we change ATF (unless the customer is extremely cheap) The lubegard stuff is a friction reduction agent among other thinks. It is not some miracle oil, but I honestly believe that it exstends trans life when you use it and change trans fluid regularly. I would add Lubegard to highmilage trans, transmissions that see a lot of towing, and trans that are know to have problems.

Well....

The Lucas transmission suplement is magic potion as far as I am concerned....

but does work wonders on auto transmissions where wear is a concern....I am a big skeptic about things like that and had a friend tell me to try it after get an estimate for a tranny rebuild in my truck....

My tranny is my truck has a lazy shift problem that stems from years of use, abuse and neglect....BUT the tranny wasnt it that bad of shape...

When I took the truck into the tranny shop it went in for a simple problem of not wanting to lock up the convertor after it was warm....

The local shop could not read the tranny with the code reader as there appears to be a short in the wiring somewhere from the ECM or something....BUT while there I asked to check the condition of the tranny and explained the lazy shift....I was just told the tranny was old and time for a rebuild and they put a check-ball in it to lock up the convertor manually in 2nd gear up....Well

After about 6months of living with that crap I decided to try and figure the problem out myself....all it ended up being was the lock-up solenoid had a crack in it and was fine when cold as there was still enough pressure behind it to bleed off and still trip the lock-up....When warm it would bleed the pressure and not lock up at all...I know this has NOTHING to do with the question at hand but I feel compelled to write gibberish....

When I pulled the pan I noticed it was rather clean and no sign of parts or grit or shavings. So I started to wonder what exactly I needed the rebuild as if it was going bad you would have band material from slipping and stuff but there wasnt.

So I was talking to a friend and explained to him the problem I was having and he told me what he thought it was and explained I should try some Lucas...So I did...I swear to you I bought it at the Auto parts store and put it in there and it made a huge difference immediately.

The lazy shift is almost gone and it works much better...so I say try it...

All my problems ended up being was a poor rebuild in the 1st place...in the 700r4 trannys the Throttle-valve (or TV valve) gets worn and allows fluid leak-off and that results in poor shifting....also my servo seals are bad and it helped those a ton....

It's not a rebuild in a can but it does work wonders...I suggest putting a can in and run it for a week or so and then change the fluid and filter and put another one in and run with it....other than that...I am sure it works in manual trannys too but not sure what it would help...?