Cant get Standard Settings Database Stable !!

Hello all,

Its good to see the site is back up !! I'd be lost if it got pulled !!

So, im back to square 1..... I have been running my X2 4400+ (939) @ 2600Mhz for some time now, and pretty much its been OK. However, Ive ALWAYS had problems with BF2, and BF2142............. and having been to a LAN Party recently, it also appears i have issues with FEAR Combat and Company of Heroes !!. Pretty much all games Crash to Desktop, and this was on a completely clean install of XP SP2 !!

So ive decided to start from scratch and OC my Machine properly, by getting the OC I achieve into the DFI OC Database (Which implies Stability) This obviously means passing all the requirements. Trouble is, i cant even get my standard settings prime95 stable !!

Ive been using the CUSTOM torture test, and making sure the max memory used per instance of Prime95 is 800Mb. Ive also made sure that both instances run on a different core via the Affinity option. My RAM is set to 100Mhz (ie. 1/2) and timings relaxed.... I started at a modest 2.4Ghz (Stock is 2.2Ghz) and i managed to get 2hrs 2mins before it detected a hardware problem and brought the test to a stop.

So then I decided to start from the VERY beginning, and im at completly stock settings (with a small increase in CPU voltage) and running the CUSTOM Torture test again netted me 8mins before core 2 failed !!

Now im currently running the eastiest torure test (forget whats its called and i cant stop them running just to check), but its effectively the one which tests VERY little Ram, and is located at the very top of the list in Torture window !!!

Its been running 8 or 9 minutes now, but i'm doubtful it will pass. What can be going wrong? Im gutted i cant even get Stock settings stable !!

Should i scrap trying to find my MAX STABLE CPU setting and try RAM, just in case its causing the problem? Or is it possible that many peoples STANDARD builds are not STABLE enough for the Torture test.

Im pretty certain i have some of the best Kit available, but it just doesnt seem to be working for me.......

UPDATE:-

I ran the Small FFT Torture test option (Max FPU Stress, Data fits in L2 Cache, RAM not tested Much) and its been running for over 2hrs 30mins on both cores. Ive stopped that now, as im going to try something slightly different. But i still need halp so if anyone has some idea's please post :)

Well in this testing i have tried to remove the RAM as a bottl neck by reducing the ratio to 1/2 (or 100Mhz), and relax all the timings !!

Ive just ran ORTHOS and only managed 22mins before it stopped and OCCT managed even less at 5mins 23 seconds !!

Im going to ditch testing the CPU for now and move on to the memory and make sure its not causing problems !!

running all 4x512 at once can present some problems on older versions of AMD64 cpu's (even the early X2's).

if memtest runs fine (i let it run for a few hours and let it do all the tests), and your rig wont do orthos stable, I'd try to go in and manually set all the timings.

I would also make sure not only are you doing 2T, but you might have to drop down to 333 divider.

if still no go, pull 2 sticks and try 2x512 with all DRAM settings at Auto and see if it will pass.

if it will, its most likely your cpu's memory controller that isn't healthy

Cheers Angry Games........... I was wondering if it was the fact ive got 4 sticks in. Its always seemed to be a little hit and miss...... Especially with previous sticks ive had......

I'll let you know how i get on.......

UPDATE 2:-

Well ive now completed my next round of testing..... Ive tried various configurations of RAM settings, and ALL variations returned Errors. I took the CPU out of the question by lowering the Multiplier, and tried the following (+ others):-

Memory @ 200Mhz with Manually set Timmings of 2.5-3-3-8 (as per SPD table). This Returned 1 error in test 5. All other tests passed.

Memory @ 200Mhz with Auto settings returned errors in Test 5 (numerous) and also test 7.

I have yet to try dropping the divider down but so far it doesnt look good. Ive got to get some University work done before monday, but then i will try ripping 2 of the 4 sticks out to see what that gives me.........

Im contemplating on buying a NEW CPU (Dual Core Opteron maybe), and some new 2x 1Gb sticks fof Memory (Manufacturer Undecided) just to try and get PRIME STABLE, then OC properly. Before i do that though i want to make sure ive done everything possible on trying to get things PRIME/ORTHOS stable !!

Providing i dont play BF2/BF214 and CoH then i have no day to day issues with this setup (in the 2600Mhz OC mode im talking about) The two BF's CTD but at VERY random times (Sometimes >1 hour, and sometimes in under 10 mins) CoH is a little different, that usually CTD after around 40 mins to and hour, and FEAR only ever crashes on exiting the game. Its never crashed during the game.

Everything else about the setup works nicely..... I can loop 3DMark06 and have no problem !! Simply put, its a strange machine

looks like im having the same problem with games as you are... mine does'nt crash, BUT it lags too much after random times (sometimes after 1hr and some 30mins below). same with every game i play, i only play need for speed most wanted and warcraft dota. i have'nt resolved the issue yet as of the mean time. im thinking its a memory problem as well and not the VC that is causing the error.

regarding your inquiry since you have underclocked your mems already and still having problems with those stability softwares you can try to use 512x2 first instead of the 4 sticks. another thing i can suggest is to run memtest on all of the sticks one at a time..

hope this helps...

Goodluck

UPDATE 3 :-

So I've got back from Uni, and pulled 2 of the 4, 512Mb sticks from my machine, leaving 2x 512Mb sticks sitting in the Orange Slots.

1 thing i immediately noticed was that the OCZ sticker on the RAM shows different timings to the CPU-Z SPD tables. OCZ Sticker shows 2.5-3-3-7, whilst the CPU-Z SPD table shows 2.5-3-3-8.

Either way i decided to carry out tests using both timming sets to see what happened.

MemTest 1 - Default settings for everything, Ram timings 2.5-3-3-8 (ie SPD Values) = 2 errors on TEST 7 (Passed TEST 5)

MemTest 2 - Same as above but for 2.5-3-3-7 (OCZ Sticker Values) = 2 errors again on TEST 7...........

This proper annoyed me since i was preying that the issue was with the CPU Memory controller (as per AG's possible theory), and that by running just 2 sticks of RAM instead of 4 would solve the issue. If this was the case i would have been ordering 2x1Gb sticks (well if there are any left) but it (as usual) doesnt look that clear cut, since i still get errors with just 2 sticks of RAM. Then things get even more weird !!!

Well i've booted into Windows and decided to run OCCT TEST just to see what happens.......... and low and behold it passed !! Every previous time i ran it, it failed within 8 minutes !! So it looks like some aspects of only having 2 sticks of RAM help.

Im still carrying out further testing, which involves ORTHOS......Its only been running for 15 minutes but im hoping it will be stable........ I should have run SuperPi32 first but i didnt. I will try that after ORTHOS......

So anyone have any idea's on what the problem might be?

CURLYBUB.

Do you think the Lagging could be due to insufficient memory? Thus over use of Hardrive page file??? I know BF2142 demands LOTS of RAM. Any less than a 1.4Gb and you'll be using the Page file resulting in choppyness....

UPDATE 4:-

Well im 3Hrs 26Mins into ORTHOS testing, and its still going.........

In the time its been running ive been watching Mission Impossible 3, E-mailing and web browse-ing etc (albeit at a slower pace than usual). My CPU Temp is 41-44 Degrees C (106-111Degs F for the US guys), with my PWMIC @ 49Degs C (120Degs F) and Chipset at 39 Degs C (102Degs F)

Im going to keep the Test Runnig over night and providing its passed, I'll keep it running through tomorrow while im at work.... If i Had all the other programs installed then i could probably enter this in the "AS STANDARD" OC DATABASE, but im getting ahead of myself........ The Machine has got to get through the night........

What i would like to know is......... Can a machine pass the DFI Stability test's (ie to get in the Overclocked Database) but also have errors in Memtest? Should'nt it be the case that if i Fail Memtest, then im likely to fail some of the other OC Stability tests also? If so which test is likely to fail? Will update you all again in the morning, and if its still going then I'll follow it up with another upadte when i get in from work in the Evening.

Chow for now !!

What i would like to know is......... Can a machine pass the DFI Stability test's (ie to get in the Overclocked Database) but also have errors in Memtest? Should'nt it be the case that if i Fail Memtest, then im likely to fail some of the other OC Stability tests also? If so which test is likely to fail? Will update you all again in the morning, and if its still going then I'll follow it up with another upadte when i get in from work in the Evening.
I would say the chances of this are null. Due to the A64 architecture the processor has an integrated DDR memory controller and is key architectural feature of the processor. The best option to test the stability is a blend test and while “Small ftt's” option may be best to test the stability the Core CPU alone you will still come up with memory errors due the integration of the memory controller.

In my opinion selecting value RAM for overclocking is a up hill battle. With that said retire your 4x512 RAM and get a solid set of DDR 2X1024 which are know to perform well in overclocking. DDR is tough to fine new and even user can cost much but it is still available.

UPDATE 5:-

Well this is the last update im afraid......... Core 2, failed @ 5hrs, 45mins !!!

So it looks like "tasr" is right....... The chances of a machine failing tests in Memtest, but going onto complete all the WINDOWS based testing is remote indeed. Although i need to point out to "tasr" that the testing carried out above is STOCK speeds. No Overclocking !! Anandtech loved these RAM chips tho....

So now im left with a pretty difficult situation....... I have a decent set of kit, that just doesnt work well together........ If i sell the 4 sticks of 512Mb, and buy some decent 1Gb sticks, its going to cost me quite a lot. If i still have problems, then i need to change the CPU, which will also likely cost alot........ I know i can offset the cost of the new kit by selling the old, but its still not going to be a "FREE" swap....

So is it time to dump the Motherboard, CPU and Memory, and go for INTEL's Core 2 Duo?

What do you guys think? Is their a FOR SALE section on this forum?