Problem with chipset fan

I've had my Nforce 4 ultra board for about 1.5 years now. Lately it has been giving me some problems. I noticed that my PC was making a really weird loud noise so I checked it out. Apparently my chipset fan is only running at 3000RPM. Usually it runs at like 6-7k. I fixed it once by opening to computer case up and dusting it out. It worked for a few more days and now it is acting up again. When the computer makes the noise the chipset gets as hot as 55 degrees C. I'm assuming this is bad because it is shown in red. When it doesn't make the noise it runs at like 47 degrees C.

Any advice on what I should do or what may be the cause of the problem? Heck I'm not even sure if I know which one is the chipset fan. I only see one fan on the motherboard so I'm assuming that is it?

Sounds like my fan is dieing I guess. Quick question though...while I want for the new fan to arrive, how hot is too hot for my chipset? When it starts to crap out on me it goes to 3000 RPM and run between 50-55 degrees C. Is this too hot? Or should I just restart my computer when it starts to crap out (this tends to fix it momentarily).

Sounds like my fan is dieing I guess. Quick question though...while I want for the new fan to arrive, how hot is too hot for my chipset? When it starts to crap out on me it goes to 3000 RPM and run between 50-55 degrees C. Is this too hot? Or should I just restart my computer when it starts to crap out (this tends to fix it momentarily).

it should still work at 55C but it probably isnt a good diea to run it any more over that... i combined an evercool vc-re with a 80mm fan pointing towards chipset on the gorund of the case.. and my temps dropped 10C... good luck!

Guest Radiohead

I replaced the sink and fan on my board with one I had knocking around. It can be tricky considering the proximity to the graphics card in many cases. Heres something else that may very well buy you a bit of time, its worked for me in the past. Remove the fan and sink, blow it out throughly and you can lubricate it with a very small amount of 3in1 oil made for motors etc. I use a small syringe with a bent hypo needle to get the lubricant where it needs to go. because as we all know the important working parts of these little fellas are very hard to get at. Too much and you're just gonna attract dust. I use a single VERY small drop of oil or WD40, you can't overdo it or you'll just attract dust.

replace that chipset with an HR-05 sli. It isn't even actively cooled on my pc and the chipset never goes over 40. When it was air cooeld it never moved from 32.

Thanks, I already put the evercool one on though. I didn't realize I had to take my motherboard out, so it took longer than I hoped for. Anyway, it is done now and my chipset reads at 39 C right now and I couldn't be happier :)

My understanding lacks as well, but found a post by soundx elsewhere:

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showpost.p...740&postcount=2

Temps over 50c are nothing to be worried about. Running what you can off a fan controller or direct from supply might help.

Thanks so much for the info. I always wondered what the PWMIC was. I thought it had something to do with the power supply. Because when my old power supply was dieing, it was running very hot. Ever since I installed the OCZ GameXTreme, it has ran decently cool at around 40ish.