7600gs

Glitch05

Hi all, Good to see the site up and running again!!

My mate has a Palit 7600GS factory OC AGP stock cooling, stock volts. He can oc it to 575/1.45 from a stock of 400/1.00 ok. It doesnt get too hot or anything, but as soon as he puts the core up any further he gets really low scores in 3DMark06. So I put that down to core 'throttling'. Is that a correct assumption? And if so, why would it be throttling the core if its not getting too hot? (56deg while running 3DMark06) Is there a way to disable the core throttling?

Thanks for any help:)

I wouldn't call that core 'throttling' more like beyond clock its able to handle. these 7600 cards the heat sink does not tough the memory chips. there for there not cooled. A good after market cooler would be a good idea when over clocking these cards

Aha. two very good points, although I think it will probably more likely his PSU. I never even thought of that. As it is on stock volts, I doubt it'll be a heat problem, and also it never even gets over 60 deg..

Thanks for the replies:)

Ok, so heres what I tried and found out:

I took my spare 450W Antec PSU to his house and replaced his Enermax 350W PSU. Booted up and tested with 3DMark 06. Still got a lower score than stock but I noticed the benchmark having pauses and small 'black outs' -so the extra 100W did nothing-. So I fired up ATI tools and found the spinning square thingy was running real jerky. I reduced the clocks back to stock and worked away at increasing them slowly till it started not liking it again and backed it off a little. Ran 3DMark again and ended up getting a muck better score, and noticed the core temp was higher than when we were testing with a 'too' high clock. What I want to know is, when I use ATI tools on my puter -in sig- when I get to the limits of my card, I get yellow dots start to apear in the rendering square. My frame rates just keep climbing, but I get errors. So thats how I know I've gone to far. Why, on his puter, does it just start goin jerky? He doesnt get to the yellow dots stage. Like I said, the core now gets to 66deg under load, witch is still well within normal temps, concidering the core threshold is 130deg. It shouldnt be the RAM gettin too hot cause the voltages are all stock, and it's not the PSU, cause it didnt make a difference havin the 350W or the 450W. (Its a pretty low end puter, old mobo, Athlon 2400 I think, DDR RAM not dual channel, PATA drives, most powerful part is the 7600GS.. not a huge power user..) Why no yellow dots?

• 1 month later...