256MB or 512MB? Hard evidence?

KimTjik

Even though I'm not a gamer I still think it's time to make an upgrade, especially since prices have become pretty good for us main-streamers. This time I've decided to buy a Nvidia card because of their better non-MS operating system support (I'm tired and bored of struggling with ATI drivers).

I've been looking at a Gainward BLISS GeForce 7950GT PCX TV Dual DVI GS, mainly because it's one of few good 7950 overclockers, which can be found with 256MB or 512MB. The price-difference is a bit more than 15 % extra for the extra memory. Is it worth it?

I've been searching the Webb an all I find is contradictory opinions: some say 512MB won't make a difference and others say it definitely will make a difference very soon in newer games.

Are we talking about noticeable gains or so marginally that it won't make a difference in anything but a few benches?

In my mind it depends on your screen resolution while gaming. If you play in high-res I would say go for 512MB cards. But 15% price-difference is not that high, especially when you plan to sell the card later...

Gipse

Thanks for your input!

A fair estimation is that I play games in average twice a week and not for so long, so even if they would be intensive I guess I'm not the one who would have time to notice any real difference. Going from a ATI X800GTO to anything Nvidia 79xx will be the major difference.

Suppose it's more or less a question of just making up my mind and spend some money.

Yeah I know where your coming from with ATI drivers, lately I cant seem to use the latest 7.xx drivers It sticks on VGA after reboot. I will definitely give Nvidia a try next. My advice to you is get the 512Mb version. You may not do any serious gaming or GPU intensive stuff but its always nice to know that you can if you want to..:)