Windows Shuts Down

dsaint

My windows shuts down by itself fast. No BSOD or closing of apps. It's just on and then it's off. I know it can be a couple of things but am having problems trouble shooting it. It was overclocked orthos for 8hrs and mem test for windows is all I did. It's running optimized now. I'll try to stress it the same tonight and see what happens.

Bad PSU - I have digital multimeter but don't know how to use it and haven't read up on it yet. Hoping this is the last resort.

Virus - deleted restore points, booted to safe, ran ad-aware and windows live safety scanner and malicious software removal. Nothing. Ran F-Secure in normal mode. Nothing.

Hard drive? -

I kind of hijacked :dog: someone's old thread from a search :angel: I did.

This is what I asked

Does windows shut down when a hard drive gets to hot? My PC has been shutting down at night (when it's hot in my room) when I'm hard on the HDD. My page file is on this drive. There is plenty of room on the HDD. But I'm being hard on it. Recording and Encoding High Def. It hasn't been making any crazy noises or anything. Any body who owns a TT Shark knows the front 120mm fan has seriously restricted air flow on the HD cage. Now bios doesn't see the drive. Window won't boot with it in. Hope it's just overheated and not dead. Have to drill a hole in this case.

No reply yet. But I did switch the sata cables and everything is fine again as far as the hard drive is concerned. DFI sure give out some crappy sata cable with their MBs. This is number 3 or 4 I've chucked in the garbage.

Would this make windows unstable.?

CPU overheat - orthors for 8 hours coretemp never gave me above 52c.

I do think it's a heat issue though cause it's hot in my room when it happens but CPU temps are still fine. MB overheat? I have the Big Typhoon and the VC-RE but the Shark sucks. Got to mod.

Auto shutdown in bios PC health is disabled. And I did turn off automatic shutdown in window. Last night it just froze. Which is different.

Overclock was 1.425v 11 x 230 = 2530 1:1, 200, DDR400 = 230 (DDR460) 4 x 230. So not a extreme overclock I think.

Any suggestions please.:sweat:

Mods I really didn't know where to put this so please move if necessary.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea...moved to OS....

It could be many things...most would say PSU...but always 1st clean the cpu heatsink out good....fur-balls dont work well at disapating heat...

then pull the power switch wire from the board..to turn it on short the pins with a metal object...this will tell you if the switch is going bad...

by now you should be well aware of all your temps...

next I would say swap out the PSU with a spare if you can just to rule it out...;)

O.K...

I did the same thing last night without removing my overclock and it did not shutdown. I hope to add this OC to the OCDB this week.

I'm NO expert so correct me if I'm spilling crap out of my mouth.

Remember this HDD was

1. - hosting the page file.

2. - capturing High Def.

3. - had my DivX temp and was being used encoding HD.

All at the same time through a bad sata cable.

Replacing this sata cable seems to have solved the problem. If I don't report back, it has.

Thanks for the responses. The Hardware monitor looks good. I'll have to try it out.

Dr. Bowtie thanks for moving post. I thought it should go here but then again there were so many hardware variables. I second guessed myself.

Cheers

dsaint

O.K. I was wrong.:dog: What else is new.

I was runing mem test for windows and about 3-4 hours in it just shut down again. No HDD involved I think. Luckily I was teaching myself to take a screen shot. Really complicated, I know.

Anyways, like I said, it shut down. I started it up and decided to run orthos again. I had previously got 8 hours. Now 12 min.

Here is some txt.

1:Test 1, 2100 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M34230145 using 1792K FFT length.

2:Test 3, 2100 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M33030145 using 1792K FFT length.

2:Torture Test ran 8 hours, 35 minutes 30 seconds - 0 errors, 0 warnings.

1:Torture Test ran 8 hours, 35 minutes 30 seconds - 0 errors, 0 warnings.

2:Execution halted.

1:Execution halted.

Type: Blend - stress CPU and RAM Min: 8 Max: 4096 InPlace: No Mem: 1790 Time: 15

CPU: 2585MHz FSB: 194MHz [191MHz x 13.5 est.]

CPU: 2585MHz FSB: 194MHz [191MHz x 13.5 est.]

26/01/2007 11:57 PM

Launching 2 threads...

2:Using CPU #1

1:Using CPU #0

2:Beginning a continuous self-test to check your computer.

1:Beginning a continuous self-test to check your computer.

2:Press Stop to end this test.

1:Press Stop to end this test.

2:Test 1, 4000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M19922945 using 1024K FFT length.

1:Test 1, 4000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M19922945 using 1024K FFT length.

1:Test 2, 4000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M19922943 using 1024K FFT length.

2:Test 2, 4000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M19922943 using 1024K FFT length.

1:Test 3, 4000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M19374367 using 1024K FFT length.

2:Test 3, 4000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M19374367 using 1024K FFT length.

1:Test 4, 4000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M19174369 using 1024K FFT length.

2:Test 4, 4000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M19174369 using 1024K FFT length.

1:FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4

1:Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

1:Torture Test ran 12 minutes 44 seconds - 1 errors, 0 warnings.

1:Execution halted.

2:Torture Test ran 12 minutes 44 seconds - 0 errors, 0 warnings.

2:Execution halted.

This is with the same settings as the 8 hour test.

Where can I find the stress.txt file. It's not in my orthos folder.

I don't feel comfortable taking apart the switch but I will if I must. Is this a normal thing. Is there a guide. If there is, I haven't seen it.

Thanks

dsaint

My problem persists.

It is not heat. I am undervolting and cpu temp is 44c max under load. RAM is warm not hot under load. Scanned for viruses. Checked PSU.

5.23 idle and load

3.4 idle - fluctuates between 3.39 and 3.4 under load. Is this fluctuation the problem?

12.37 idle - 12.35 load

I tested each for a minute. If people give my PSU the O.K. I will look at getting a UPS.

dsaint

O.K. Thanks sir. I will give it a shot.

My overclock was 230 X 11 @ 1.25v x 113%. So that's probably low. One time it passed orthos 8hr., another time it shut down. I will push the temps a little higher. My CPU max is 65c and you void the warranty by replacing the heatsink so....:)

A UPS probably won't hurt either seeing that I have pretty much everything in my sig running on a standard surge protector. PC - HDTV - A/V Receiver - PVR.:sweat:

When it would freeze and not shut down Windows was always on the screen saver. I've set it to 9999 min. and disabled all power saving options. We have the cheapest electricity rates in North American anyhow and I turn off my TV when not using it. Going on 7.5 hours of Orthos. Blend Option.

A weird thing probably not related, but in the past screen saver would not work with USB wireless mouse. I had to use the ps2 adapter for the screen saver function to work properly.

Memory - Always used 2.5 (under volt) to 2.8v without any major noticeable change. 2.7v is my usual for overclock. Major change when adjusting fsb and timings of course. I always run memtest #5,6,8, or all when I make changes. I'll run that for 2-4 hours before booting into windows. Then I'll run memtest for windows to about 1000% percent coverage. I guess I should do a all nighter of memtest, but I'm fairly certain the ram is fine. As far as I can tell my memory is solid and over clocks much better then my CPU.

PSU - I checked with digital multimeter - to the best of my limited knowledge on the subject, it is performing rock solid and stable.

Orthos - Mostly use Blend in Orthos. But I do use the Stress CPU or RAM before I bring my OC together.

Thanks

dsaint