Opty 165 & ATI RDX 200

Hi all,

I have an Opteron 165 and want to overclock it to a decent speed (around 2.4)

Tbh I am an amatuer OC'er because I have only OC'ed my old AMD 3000+ from 200 Mhz to 220 in the BIOS.

After using these forums to help me with my first problems (which helped... thanks!) I went to up my FSB from 200 to 220, but it wouldnt get passed windows screen. I put it to 215 and seems to be running fine but surely I can get more than this.

Any help would be much appreciated.

have you tried to lowering your ram clock speeds from 200 to say 166??

with the 165 x2 you can clock upto 3ghz and more depending on the stepping! but most can get to 2.4 no problems on stock voltages! so the only thing i can think of right now is lowering the clocks on the ram! and then maybe try to loosen the timmings!!

Guest MadDias

i´m sure that u can get more than 2,5ghz out of ur 165.

u´ll need to set ur memory timings manually. try searching the ocdb for entries with ur ram model to get an impression of what timings to try.

and ofcourse u have to use a mem divider of 166 or lower if ur ram can´t handle more than 215mhz.

what stepping is ur opteron? hope u wrote it down before mounting the heatsink ;)

I've got my 165 at 2.934ghz w/ 1.6 volts. But i am also using a custom built water cooling system. Also stock voltage at 2.4ghz? I think that's even pushing it a little bit. Maybe 2.25ghz, at least i've never been able to get 600 mhz on a stock voltage ever!

Even with a crappy stepping 2.4 is very possible on stock voltage. My 170's will do 2.5 on stock volts and 2.6 with 1.4 volts. My newest opty which is a pretty good stepping will do 2.7 on stock volts.

Guest MadDias
sorry i dont want to jump the thead but MadDias have u got any benchs of your raid setup?? as i have one mine and its not the best, just wondering if i could compare them cheers?!!

mine ain´t that spectacular either...

hdtachoh8.th.jpg

they are old drives and i think one of them is slowly biting the dust, making weird scratching noises.

My stepping is CCBBE 0615EPMW

I think that can get around 2.9 with a decent cooling system. My friend is a decent DFI'er and he said that is I lower the timings and Mhz (to around 133) then when I overclock it goes back up with the FSB?

I put them down to 185 mhz but it doesnt boot.