madian225

19 members have voted

1. 1.

• Keep existing MM U2-UFO case
    • Get new case and keep it as it is
    • Get new case and mod it to pieces
    • Build new case from scratch and keep DIY-Street informed of progress

HI

I currently have a MM U2-UFO case and am thinking of changing it for something different.

I guess I have a number of options,

1. Keep existing case
  2. Buy new case and mod it to pieces
  3. build a case myself and keep DIY-Street informed of the progress
  4. be boring and dull and keep the new case as it is (what ever case I get)

Hi

To be honest there is nothing really wrong with it at all.

I just have a few idea's as to what I am looking for and it given the case is powder coated it will mean stripping the powder coat of both inside and out before I can start to do anything.

I guess that is my reason behind starting from scratch and seeing what happens.

I am looking to future proof my case (maybe phase at some point) and with 5 HD's, two water cooling loops including two DD 5 pumps space has become a bit limited lol.

So am thinking of what I want and how to achieve it based on what I have seen elsewhere and my own idea's / thoughts really

To be honest, the Lian-Li modular cube case has room for all of that, and then some. Nothing like having 18x18x24 of customizable open room to play with. The only thing you can't move is the motherboard tray. Add to that the fact that you can mount 2 120.2 radiators IN the drive bays, the board compartment one down low, so you can have up to 3 5.25" devices mounted at the top, and the secondary compartment raditor mounted high so you can mount the 4 in 3 hdd holder in the bottom 3 slots.

Toss filtered fan grills for this case over the 120's and it'll look great. You can also use the 120mm hdd mounting rack to mount additional hdds and still use an 80mm fan in it for exhaust.

As an added bonus, the area between the compartments has wire routing ports and is open along the top for tubing routing. Wanna see more? Go to 3dgameman.com and look for the review of the Lian-Li 434 case(and yes, I own that exact case, bought it from Rod Reynolds himself. Woot, my case is world famous...sorta).

I'd definitely build from scratch. More Fun!

You might even consider using composites. Make just about any shape you want, strong as hell (if done right), looks cool (i.e. carbon fiber), lightweight.

If you want more info on how to do composites etc; please ask here and/or PM me.

ThermalTake sells that case with a liquid cooling setup now? ASFAIK there's 4 versions, 2 windowless ones in Aluminum or aluminum and steel or two windowed cases in those styles.

http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Chassis...e1000_index.asp

I went for the Aluminum one with the windows, the SWA one. They also sell accessories like a miniatx drivebay PSU, the Media Lab VFD, 7" bay LCD monitor and a BTX upgrade kit.

The LCD is a auto-retaractable touchscreen with VGA inputs, at a premium price of course.

Buy a MozartTx and mod the hell out of it!

Ditto on that, it'll certainly be my next case. I can't stand having to work to cram everything into small spaces, even the V2000 is starting to feel cramped to me.

Of course it'll be too big for some, just my opinion. :angel: