Need advice on low profile heatsink fan

Guest LithoTech_merged

Guest LithoTech

Need advice on low profile heatsink fan.

Really low, like 50mm total hight from base of heatsink to top of fan. Preferably 45mm.

Needs to fit a socket 754.

Needs to be reasonably cheap, it's going on top of a Sempron 2800, so I don't want anything that costs near (or more!) than the cpu itself.

It's going in an old tiny Dell case (Dimension L600r), and the psu sits right over top of the cpu. I'm putting in a 400w Fortron with a 120mm fan, I don't want the cpu fan too close to the psu, total clearance is about 55mm.

I'm having touble locating a suitable solution. I can't find anything in a regular HSF, and sort of forced to look at 1U rackmount coolers, with fans.

Problem is, I can't find any in stock anywhere in Canada.

And while most are organized as socket 754/939/940, they all say they are for Opteron s940 when you hit a link at a retailer. Can anyone describe to me how thse are mounted? It looks like the stock retention module is removed and it screws into the backplate, with some sort of spring load on it (see links below).

I managed to find a pciture which uses one of these (without fan) on an ASRock:

asrock1ucooler4cf.jpg

Can anyone verify that most, if not all of these 1U coolers will fit socket 754? Any idea of a good Canadian supplier? Suggested brand/model w/ fan? I like the Dynatron's, but no idea of their prices or supply.

Here's some pics of the case/psu/mobo showing clearance:

dellclosed8ya.jpg

dellclose2il.jpg

dellopen3kl.jpg

I'll have 2 or 3x 40mm silent fans intake up front, the psu is the only exhaust. A weak fan or blower on one of these 1U coolers should keep idle in low 30s, I'll activate CnQ too. But a fanless ones makes me nervous, needing direction correct fins and good airflow to work well.

I think these Dynatrons could take a regular fan in place of the blower, directed up to the psu exhaust, and is low enough to swap in a taler 25mm high fan.

http://www.dynatron-corp.com/products/cpuc...model.asp?id=62

70mm models:

http://www.dynatron-corp.com/products/cpuc...model.asp?id=90

http://www.dynatron-corp.com/products/cpuc...model.asp?id=27

Or somehow mount a regular fan on the fanless version? Cheaper? Screw right into the fins?

http://www.dynatron-corp.com/products/cpuc...model.asp?id=55

Anyone with experience with these coolers? Pitfalls? Brands to avoid?

Guest LithoTech
Im not sure but you might want to check out a scythe or an arctic cooler. Those heatsinks are pretty small, but im not sure if they'd fit in that tight of a space.

I've already looked at all the AC models, they are all too high.

And Scythe I didn't look at because every Scythe HS I've seen has been MASSIVE lol! As far as I know, they don't do small.

Thermaltake made a couple of options, one active and one passive. The active one, A1827, looks good, should fit the bill, but I find it is unavailable at ncix which usually means it is out of production.

tta18271hl.jpg

Yet one local store has it listed at $24 special order. I'll be calling them today, but I doubt they can get it in.

Guest LithoTech

Gah, that sucker is way too big, but you are thinking out of the box with it's angled profile.

Looking here:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33774

It doesn't look like it would clear the psu in the Dell case, but I really think I'd have to have one in my hand and try a dry fit to be sure. Not in the budget to experiment trial and error though, lol! :tooth:

I've asked at no less than three other places, and I am getting more response from you Retro, than the rest combined, so my gratitude is scincere regardless of still being solutionless at this point.

Last night, I was kicking around the idea of mounting the PSU about half outside the case and half inside. It would leave enough room for a real HSF, and wouldn't be too difficult to drill a few holes to secure it. However, I'd have to cut part of the plastic case that normally covers the PSU exhaust, and I don't want to do that just yet. I'd also need a different PSU that had an intake fan that was on the same side that the cables come out of, to work as exhaust. It would have to be a last resort, since the system would no longer be a sleeper with half a PSU sticking out of the rear. Yet this wouldn't be visible from the front, and I could then put an AC Freezer Pro in the bugger.

I just can't understand... you'd think these rackmount heatsinks would be fairly common, there must be thousands of servers using them within 10 miles of me. But not one store in the whole country stocks the things.

What does one do when they order a barebones rackmount and then buy a processor for it and need low profile cooling??