So who made the 8hr rule?

I'm sticking with Angry. Eight hours should cut the bacon, a few hours of 3D vid benchmark looping to follow. I use my rigs for gaming and folding predominantly and if the machines gonna stumble those few hours will usually take it over the edge if its gonna go. Thats the wonder of the locked PCI bus, you can flog the crap out of the CPU and leave your other components at stock and lengthen there lives.

Yeah. I like to run Orthos for longer than 24 just because I run F@H. Right now my cpu is at stock with undervolts though.

Guest Radiohead

I fold with all of my rigs as well but always figured a good burn in for 8 or so hours even on dual cores doesn't put the same stress on the CPU as Orthos. I certainly think that although the true 8 hour grind is the greatest stressor in the end.

The 8Hr rule is just the Preference on this site. I've seen other sites that say you gotta run 24hrs to be stable ive seen some that prefer 16hrs. Stable is a term used loosely around the internet and it means something different to everyone, What is Stable?.. ive run my rig OCd 280Mhz for over a year without a single crash and it ran Prime stable 24hrs when i started now i find that it cant run Prime over 270Mhz without errors. But i Play WorldofWarcraft every day for 6-8 hrs and on weekends i play 16-18 hrs at a stretch, no crashes or errors, no BSODs. but it wont run Prime.. Now is it stable or not?... it depends on you, Will it work for your use prolly but if want the award for Highest OC then id definately go past the 8Hrs mark just to be safe.. Whats overkill?.. yet again we have the same problem but id say over 36hrs is overkill IMHO but thats just me...

Guest Radiohead

I think a lot has to do with exactly what you're useing the system for as well. If you're an avid gamer a crash is nothing more than an annoyance, if you're an artist, architectic, CADerauthor etc a crash can be catastrophic thats why I think its highly adviseable to invest in high quality parts and keep the OC to a bare minimum on a breadmaking machine. Theres far more to loose.

AGs right in saying that a given time limit is important in logging OC results etc in the long run. Its an important part of an OCers logbook thats for certain.

Have any of you guys have Orthos stop but not have a error. I came home the other day and Orthos had stopped and said 0 errors, 0 warnings, I figured it was just a error within Orthos and now Im running it again. Curious if that has happened to anyone else.