Sign in to follow this  
Flybye

So who made the 8hr rule?

Just curious who decided or how people came to the conclusion 8hrs is the safe target to hit to ensure your system is stable and how it became the "Rule of Thumb."

I know some are anal and may take it higher. While others hardly care at all and if it passes for 1hr they are happy.

8 hours is a compromise. Most but not all failures will occur within this time period. I usually go for 12 hours minimum.

8 hours is a compromise. Most but not all failures will occur within this time period. I usually go for 12 hours minimum.

Ditto. I go for 12 hours at the very least and preferably 24 hours.

It comes down to a personal preference. When it's all said and done the real proof of stability is with 24/7 use.

Just curious who decided or how people came to the conclusion 8hrs is the safe target to hit to ensure your system is stable and how it became the "Rule of Thumb."

I know some are anal and may take it higher. While others hardly care at all and if it passes for 1hr they are happy.

I heard it was the guy who played "Lurch" on the Adamms Family. :)

Or maybe cause 8 hours is considered a full day of work.

...maybe cause 8 hours is considered a full day of work.

I'd say you're probably dead on, it's convenient for sleeping or heading to work so you don't have to wait around without a computer.

As for overkill...depends on how much you really need you computer. If I'm heading out for the weekend it wouldn't be a big deal to run it just to see if it could handle 48+ hours...but in my opinion 8-12 hours is enough to ensure no problems, or at least make the chance very small.

I think that 8 hours is a pretty good indicator of system stability, but I have seen many occasions where prime will fail between 8 & 12 hours...

Personally, 12 hours is my bare minimum, and my preference is 16+ hours

I made the rule and I'll tell you why I made it

no one uses their computer for more than 8 hours straight of 100% cpu. If you do, you are either Korean and playing Starcraft in an internet cafe, or you have tasks for it to run that require more than 8 hours, which means you are a professional 3d artist, video editor, etc, and you shouldn't be overclocking a machine that is required to do work (ie anything "mission critical"), you should have bought a real workstation class rig.

8 hours is enough time for you to set it and go to sleep (since the complaint I hear the most is "omg 8 hours without my pc? I'LL GO MAD!! I'LL HAVE TO GO OUTSIDE MAYBE *GASP*") and it be done when you wake up, then it takes only about 30 minutes to run the 3d benchmarks.

why not another 8 hours of 3d benchmarks?

well, we could...but there's no real way of showing how long you ran those 3d benches to my knowledge (like you can with Prime/Orthos etc). Plus, a single run of 3dmark2003, 2005, and 2006 will really show any instabilities for the most part (the 85% of us).

I've had 8 hours of prime pass then fail on 3dmark2003 or 2005 or 2006. The trick is to run them all first then run your orthos/sp2004 and 3dmark2001.

Notice for the Stock Speed Database it is 24 hours. 24 hours at every stock setting should be enough stress to guarantee that if you only ran stock, it would last you as long as it lasted you (usually you would upgrade before something would burnout or blow up lol).

but for overclockers, I figure that there just isn't anyone that is going to do something so severe to his machine to require it to run 100% cpu and gpu for more than 8 hours. Hell, even when I was binge-gaming it was only 4-6 hours at a stretch then I realized my butt hurt, my eyes hurt, I had to pee, I should probably eat, blah blah blah, but never can I remember going a full 8 hours of pure hard machine use.

You are right in that some wont ever do the db, they'll do the cpu-z validation or 1m Super Pi and declare that is as stable as they need.

Others will run 48+ hours and then loop all the benchmarks for 24 hours each etc.

We like to fall right in the middle. 8 hours prime + all the major 3d benches.

We do realize that even after passing all of this, a machine can fail or crash. I've had it happen (many times playing stupid BF2 which sucks for an engine so is not a good indicator as I've had it fail miserably at stock speed) when playing games, or just opening a Firefox window, checking email, listening to music, whatever.

BUT

in all my experience, 99.95% of the time if it will pass the OCDB requirements, it will run every game, program, whatever stable until your bits burn up (because if you are overclocking, you are usually going to end up with a part that suffers from EDS, or Early Death Syndrome).

Hope that explains it well enough ;)

I think it’s all down to your own experiences & what you feel happy with.

I personally run a 24 hour test to check my 24-7 settings but I am more than happy with 10 minute tests whilst trying to find the sweet spot on my rigs.

I settled for 24 hours after having a xp3200 Barton rig that used to blink all the desktop icons would disappear then one bye one re apear this was 8-12 hours stable i.e. overnight.

I had exactly the same problem on both my Opty 144 & 165 & on both rigs that were 8-12 hours/overnight stable I had to reduce my CPU clock by 20 ish mhz to get them to test 24 hours.

48 hours for me as i run 3d applications that do renders that takes up to a day to render or more, but if prime,3d benches and folding projects can run two days straight i find that to be enough to label my rigs stable. I run [email protected] and other folding projects which really push my cpu like no other stability program has, i recommend anyone that has passed prime to run these as they will find issues prime doesn't catch, i know this from experience.

Guest Radiohead

I'm sticking with Angry. Eight hours should cut the bacon, a few hours of 3D vid benchmark looping to follow. I use my rigs for gaming and folding predominantly and if the machines gonna stumble those few hours will usually take it over the edge if its gonna go. Thats the wonder of the locked PCI bus, you can flog the crap out of the CPU and leave your other components at stock and lengthen there lives.