Guest r3d c0m3t_merged

Upgrade to Vista or stick with XP?

128 members have voted

1. 1.

• I'll upgrade when Vista has some decent software
    • I'll upgrade as soon as SP1 arrives
    • I'll upgrade when I feel the need to do so
    • I've already got Vista pre-ordered

LOL, I was serious. I think I've had it with Vista for a while at least.

I've been running Vista Beta's since last March.

I feel I have a real good handle on what it brings to the table.

Have my Vista installs all tweaked and running as fast as they can.

Was nerding about this morning and trying to get the nVidia and ATITool Plug-ins working for MBM5 in Vista (for like the 100th time).

Still a no go and the older HP printer is now acting goofy.

Vista has the occasional "trick" feature, but really there is nothing that I can't do just as easily with another program.

I really would have liked to seen the effort put into a 64-bit OS as you suggested.

And Vista x64 is just depressing it is so limiting due to it's inability to deal with unsigned drivers (that is not a plus in my book).

Along with the reasons noted in my earlier post, I'm not even sure about the "Activation Policy". The last I heard of it was after the first activation of the OS, you can only make 2 upgrades to your system in order to maintain the same license you bought. After 2 upgrades, the OS will become disabled. The only way to reactivate the OS is to buy another license of the OS! ..

That simply can't be true, just call MS and they will get you going again. Alternately if you image a clean install, then you can always just reimage the drive instead of reinstalling Vista. That's what I have been doing with my OEM copy of XP, after activation failed on my second install to the same exact hardware. It's also a lot faster than installing, you can reimage a clean install in less than 5 minutes.

Guest Lavell

I was talking about Windows Vista, not Windows XP. The activation policy I was speaking of is after a couple of hardware upgrades, the OS would be disabled.

That simply can't be true, just call MS and they will get you going again. Alternately if you image a clean install, then you can always just reimage the drive instead of reinstalling Vista. That's what I have been doing with my OEM copy of XP, after activation failed on my second install to the same exact hardware. It's also a lot faster than installing, you can reimage a clean install in less than 5 minutes.

The policy applies to both OS. It's basically the same as installing one copy of the OS on two different sets of hardware (ie two PCs). Of course it's going to give you trouble, MS isn't that stupid, otherwise we could all use one OS for every PC in our household.

You claimed in your original post that the only way around this is to buy another license which is simply not true.

Get on the phone with MS and explain that you did a hardware upgrade and aren't trying to install it to another machine and they will let you activate the OS then.

Well I've learned so much about Vista from just this one thread! I knew Vista was crap (OS in general, DRM politics). I was just excited about Crysis, which I just read that all public viewings have been on DX9. Does this include Trailers released on the web but not shown in live public?

which leads me to join in the Linux bandwagon a bit more. Some of you know just how truly much I hate Linux (like Palestinians hate Jews, like Blackhawks fans hate Red Wings fans, like Red Sox fans hate Yankee fans, etc).

Like Flames fans hate Oiler fans and Canuckleheads!

Guest r3d c0m3t
Well I've learned so much about Vista from just this one thread! I knew Vista was crap (OS in general, DRM politics). I was just excited about Crysis, which I just read that all public viewings have been on DX9. Does this include Trailers released on the web but not shown in live public?

Like Flames fans hate Oiler fans and Canuckleheads!

As I've said before, just think of every game claimed to have been Vista exclusive that utilised DX10 to have been coded in DirectX 9.0c +. It's almost exactly like the first and second wave of DX9 cards that came out....when almost everyone was like "What the crap do I need this for, games are still coded in DX8?!"

The simple fact of the matter being that DX9 hasn't been pushed to it's absolute limits, at least not in my eyes I even believe DX9 not to mention SM 3.0 can squeeze out results far better looking than anything Gears of War and Halo 3 can manage, but since when has it ever been about pushing anything to it's absolute limits before someone decides something new and totally unnecessary should exist at the time?

Allow me to dwell on the past, AGP hasn't been pushed to it's limits, S-ATA hasn't been pushed to it's limits, hell not even IDE has been pushed to it's absolute limits, but developers constantly feel the need to always go about and advance something, taking it one step further than what's usually called for. Okay...so PCI-E and S-ATA II offer superior bandwidth and power options and also allows for much powerful card architectures in the long run and not to mention PCI-E allows you to run several video cards at once, but how many of us can actually dish out the money for two $500-650 video cards?

I say technology (whether it be API's, card buses, or even serial ports) should only be abandoned when they're 100% OBSOLETE. Not 48%, 56%, 88.5%...100%.

Like VHS and cassette tapes.

Wait for all the bugs to be exposed. I’m in no hurry for any new OS release.

My opinion is that the masses push this. They buy an OS when it first comes out causing the demand. Damm capitalist way.

For those more interested in the DRM of Vista and what it does to the system, I guide you here to a fantastic podcast i listen to: http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm

Check out some of the newer ones about Vista DRM and the one with Peter Gutmann.

As far as I go, in the future I plan on having a Mac desktop for most things, and a slim vista desktop machine solely for gaming, it will be a DFI board of course : )

Vista will make it on one of my machines when it has to but I hope that isn't for a long butt time. Way to much bloat for my tastes and the DRM is bs plain and simple.

Guest RohypnoL

Im sticking with XP x64 simply because it's nearly (if not exactly) the same in look and feel, but is also faster. I'll only go to vista when it's a must.. i.e. DX10 games are mainstream.

I say technology (whether it be API's, card buses, or even serial ports) should only be abandoned when they're 100% OBSOLETE. Not 48%, 56%, 88.5%...100%.

Now I don't know if I agree with Vista but I don't agree with what your saying in general. Why would we limit ourselves technologically like that? Making advancements in technology is a good thing, not a bad thing. Thats like saying "We have the potential to put the F-22 into service but lets wait until all the F-18's die on us". If you don't remember correctly DVD and VHS coincided in the market for a long time, same with cassette and CD. Although pushing things to their limits is a good thing, why would we shelve some awesome new technology just because there is something that already exists that works? You can always have both, new and old, existing in the same market. Now down to just same simple logic. If you have a newer technology that is capable of the same and better, why would you even contemplate trying to maximize the potential of the former when you could put the time and effort into the newer technology and achieve superior results? This is speaking in general, not Vista specifically but do you get what I'm trying to say?