What is the best Core 2 board?

Guest Zanthros_merged

Guest Zanthros

Hey, I'm looking for an opinion on what is the best Core2 board. 680i , 975xbx? I'd like some input and I have read alot about what is out there and currently I am unable to draw an conclusion on choice. BadAx? Striker? Help!:confused:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Zanthros

danzgpgt97 looking at your sig I see you speak from experience. So I get from Travis and Raiderfan001 the 975X is the way to go......

I'm looking down the road for AMD and I see them possibly with a quad socket board with 2 quad core processors a "drop in" GPU (courtesy of ATI) and perhaps a physics processor ...... Can you Imagine the capabilities of a drop in gpu? No daughter card or anything to impede the data transfer rate between it and the cpu? It will make PCIe look slow ......

Trust me theres just not enough of a performance gain on the 680i to be worth buying. Theres just to many problems for the money/performance. Over at newegg.com you can get the infinity for $164.00. Thats amazing. Just buy this great board be happy and stick the rest of the money in your pocket. I should have listened to technodan when he told me to get it because he figured it would have bugs back when I got it in November. Lessons learned. Just get the Infinity untill DFI comes out with the next killer board. Notice how they didnt jump on the 680i yet?

Guest Zanthros

I understand what you are saying ....... So for a new build you suggest the Infinity eh? I have learned not to buy the :top processor (from current build) cause they usally don't have the headroom to clock well..... Thanks....for the info ......

I suggest the DFI Infinity 975X/G or the Intel Bad Axe2 board. The P965 sounds great o paper but it's strap crap really makes it a lack luster performer. If you ask on any other board you'll hear nothing but ASUS P5B-Deluxe... don't buy into it unless you've got phase or an E6300 chip. (Both of which would actually take advantage of the high FSB capabilities of the P965 chipset enough to regain the lost performance from strap issues)

Im telling ya if I have to RMA this board one more time its going on ebay and Im buying an infinity. Its much cheaper and the performance gain on the 680i are less than 5%. I thought I saw somewhere to where a guy set a OCing world record on an infinity I might be wrong though. I cant think of any benefits to get the 680i instead right now. SATA is terrible, not a single USB port worked on mine, countless memory errors, instablility when overclocking, and no good fixes in sight. Do yourself a favor and get the tried and true.

Another vote for the Infinity 975X/G board. Mine has been rock solid stable since day one of my build and clocks very nicely with the 97TIDC15 BIOS. It even recovers quite nicely from bonehead moves when overclocking. I've made a few, and it has yet to booger my original OS install. I'm going on a couple of months now with this board and E6600 Conroe, and I couldn't be happier. Sure, it lacks dual gb lan, and six or eight SATA ports, the stock n/b and s/b cooling is kind of lame, but when you get it, and tweak it right, the thing just flys. And even the green pcb isn't ALL that bad.

I ditched the stock n/b passive heatsink and went with the ThermalRight HR-05, and the ceramic s/b heatsink came off in favor of the Evercool VC-RE.

Clocks are in my sig, and this is 24/7 :)

I suggest the DFI Infinity 975X/G or the Intel Bad Axe2 board. The P965 sounds great o paper but it's strap crap really makes it a lack luster performer. If you ask on any other board you'll hear nothing but ASUS P5B-Deluxe... don't buy into it unless you've got phase or an E6300 chip. (Both of which would actually take advantage of the high FSB capabilities of the P965 chipset enough to regain the lost performance from strap issues)

When you say that the P965 is crappy and lacks performance, do you actually have any evidence to support this? cos I just pmsl @ that statement, every review I have ever read regarding Mobo's tells me that the is not anything between them as far as performance goes, and that includes an Arock Mobo which is as cheap as chips that out performed a DFI Mobo in one or two test, but as we all know the is more to a Mobo than that, and what’s @ the top of most DIY Street Members list is how well it OC's and the only thing that changes as far as performance goes, and then its all about features and quality components, and most P965 Mobo fits the bill! And its 965P not P965