SATA 150 vs SATA 3.0Gbps?

theycallmeMR

hello all . big welcome bk to the street ive missed it as of late .

basically my question is my motherboard can only handle sta 1 hdd's and not even raptors so they tell me ,

im about to purchase a sata hdd or second ide for a new c drive which would be best for me to get ,,,(is there any sata 2 mod for my mobo like on some over dfi boards ?)

if not then some good sata 1 drive sugestions im having trouble finding any.

second question, will i notice much speed diference im curently using a 200gb western digital ide drive split into 2 partions 1 for c and other d . i want to move that to just a storage drive only id only need around 80 gb for my c

thanx

my motherboard can only handle sta 1 hdd's and not even raptors so they tell me

your RDX200? Who told you that it won't run raptor drives???

The board will run SATA II drives as long as they are in SATA I mode, and the board most definitely will run the older SATA I Raptor (36GB and 74GB) drives.

there is no SATA mod for your board's chipset

look for any SATA drive that is 320GB or larger that will also work in SATA I mode (i know the Seagates have a jumper on them as do the WD drives)

or

get a decent but cheap PCI/PCI-E SATA II card (I've seen them from $20-$100+, a decent one will run you $25-$40 dollars for 2-port, non-RAID, and doesnt matter about your chipset as the card itself will run at SATA II)

music for your what??

anyways i wont suggest that you get a raptor bcause their performance is not that great and they fail FAST

I've been using a 36GB raptor as my pagefile/swap drive since I got it in early '03 and its been great. The benchmarks look really pretty but your right, the overall performance just isn't there in "real world" situations. Although, I have used a few in a RAID setup for streaming media in a DAW/Video editing box and it was awesome. So it really comes down to what are you going to be doing the most with this machine, and is it worth the extra dollars?

• 2 weeks later...

My friend has had his Raptor for a long time, and it works perfectly.

Raptor's dominate in access time. I have a SATA II RAID 0 setup, and I totally dominate his read/write times, but his access time still beats me. So two Raptors in a RAID 0 is where it's at. I can't wait until Raptor goes SATA II, then I will be pickin' me up a pair.