Enermax Galaxy 850W Problem

Hi

My motherboard a DFI CFX3200 – has a floppy power connector near the PCI-E slot 1 – to “stabilise the channels when in crossfire mode” - SLI 680i motherboards have a similar connector to run SLI, when I plug the PSU into the socket I get a red light on the PSU and 2 short beeps, (the same as everyone else I have seen) when I remove this connector everything loads and runs OK.

Is this a common problem?

I contacted Enermax UK and they have given me an RMA number - the only issue is I'm a bit wary. I have RMA'd items before (not to enermax) but I wait ages (with my main rig down) and get the item back and it does exactly the same - as if someone has just mailed you a new one wrapped up without looking at the issue. This is very annoying and I just don't want my rig down that long. How essential is this additional power connector and could I live without it??

Note - at the moment I'm not crossfired - but this PSU is expensive and not being able to plug something in thats meant to be plugged in is grating.

Any one else?

UPDATE - here is the response from Enermax - they responded quickly which is a credit to them

"Thanks for your mail. It would be the incompatibility problem. It would be either the Galaxy psu is faulty or incompatibility problem. We know that the DFI motherboard is not designed follow the Intel PSU design guideline. However, we would like to exchange a new galaxy to you.

Would you please fill in the attached RMA authorisation form? And then send it back together with the faulty unit and the invoice. Once we received it, we will send the replacement to you at once."

just wondering...

have u tried different cables?

and also tried different "ports" on the galaxy?

i have the same power supply running a DFI motherboard with the same connector and i have no issues...

Yip I tried a different cable, tried running a floppy connector off the molex too. Strange yours works mine does not - might actually RMA it. Thing is - its working fine apart from that, voltages look fine too. I take it that power connector is only used for crossfire yes?

Yip I tried a different cable, tried running a floppy connector off the molex too. Strange yours works mine does not - might actually RMA it. Thing is - its working fine apart from that, voltages look fine too. I take it that power connector is only used for crossfire yes?

nah, im running a DFI UT Lanparty SLi-DR mobo with 2 7800GTXs in sli mode.

maybe its ur mobo screwing something up?

i also have the galaxy psu and I have no problem on my dfi nf4-sli-dr system.

Your system doesn't look particularly power hunger system, and fairly comparable to mine, of course you got the opteron OCed and the x1900xt. Still I don't think it will consume too much power.

Enermax has a new lines of galaxy which they designed for gamers and it has more pcie connector and took out the additional 8pin molex (maybe something else under the hood).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I have a DFI 975X/G and an Enermax 850 DXX and have the same problem if a try to connect a floppy power cable to the connector near the PCIe.

It is solved by using a floppy-to-hdd connector and using a special mobo cable of the PSU (hdd connector) that have only 12V + neutral and not 5V.