Power usage master versus standard X1950

puzzled

Does a master card need more amperage than a standard X1950? I can get a standard X1950X to work in PCIE video slot #1, but can not get an X1950 Crossfire master card to work by itself in the same slot. The fault LED comes on when I try the master card in either of the PCIE video slots. I have a PSU with marginal amperage on the 12 volt rail which is why I am asking the question.

No same amperage! But you need quite a robsut PSU to pull of xfire like one that I have

I see you have a single rail PSU. I may not have enough output to run dual cards, but I should still be able to boot a single card in the primary slot. I can do that with a standard card, but not the master card.

Actually, at the moment, single rail PSUs are BETTER that multirail because of the current trend of GFX card power usage. Even the OCZ 700W PSUs rails are unable to fuel the 8800GTZ while OCed. One big 70A rail is far better in that application and certainly not much worse, if any, in XFire apps.

Multi-rails are not a problem for the 19xx GPUs FYI.

I suspect the way you're setting them up is the problem ot the master card is bad. You really haven't given much info for me to help in that matter.

Good luck.

Multi-rails are not a problem for the 19xx GPUs FYI.

I suspect the way you're setting them up is the problem not the master card is bad. You really haven't given much info for me to help in that matter.

Good luck.

What information do you need? If I run a single card in the primary video slot the master card does not work, yet the standard card does. The master card also has the red fault LED lit. I had read that the red LED will come on when not enough power gets to the card. Obviously that is not the only reason it would come on.