Your opinion on my overclock

Glad the forums are up again :) . Anyhow, I thought I would start my first thread. After popping the lid off my x2 3800+ my load temp went down 20-25c, which I think is great. So now I'm trying to get a higher stable overclock than 2.8ghz at 1.525V which I normally run as 24/7 setup. Right, so I tried these settings(roughly, ask me if you need more info):

HTT: 323

HTT Multiplier: 9x

Mem divider: 140mhz(memory runs at about 223mhz)

Mem timings: 2.5-3-2-6(I can post rest of them later if needed)

LDTx: 3x

Vdimm: 2.6V

Vcore:~1.63V

With the settings above my core temp goes up to just under 40c during load. I ran orthos Small FFTs for 25 hours without failing, and I was really happy with that. But I soon found out that it started to freeze during gaming, and I eventually discovered it would fail/freeze quickly when running Large FFTs...

Do you guys think it's the cpu that can not go any further? I was hoping that I could get a bit further with these low temps, but it looks as if it won't... Any opinions/suggestions? :angel:

Glad the forums are up again :) . Anyhow, I thought I would start my first thread. After popping the lid off my x2 3800+ my load temp went down 20-25c, which I think is great. So now I'm trying to get a higher stable overclock than 2.8ghz at 1.525V which I normally run as 24/7 setup. Right, so I tried these settings(roughly, ask me if you need more info):

HTT: 323

HTT Multiplier: 9x

Mem divider: 140mhz(memory runs at about 223mhz)

Mem timings: 2.5-3-2-6(I can post rest of them later if needed)

LDTx: 3x

Vdimm: 2.6V

Vcore:~1.63V

With the settings above my core temp goes up to just under 40c during load. I ran orthos Small FFTs for 25 hours without failing, and I was really happy with that. But I soon found out that it started to freeze during gaming, and I eventually discovered it would fail/freeze quickly when running Large FFTs...

Do you guys think it's the cpu that can not go any further? I was hoping that I could get a bit further with these low temps, but it looks as if it won't... Any opinions/suggestions? :angel:

I could be wrong but I believe Small FFT's stress the CPU while Large FFT's stress the RAM. IF this is correct then it might be more of a RAM timings problem.

Could you post up all of your RAM timings as long with the model number of your RAM? I believe I might have the same memory as you do and I was able to get it to around 230 - 230 but I ran it at around 2.5-3-3-8 or 3-3-3-8.

Good luck.

I have tested at those speeds earlier, but here's a picture(same timings, but I'm running at 200mhz for now):

untitled6hx.jpg

Large FFTs stress both cpu and ram though, so I personally think it's the cpu failing(although I hope it's not :P )

The model number of the ram, do I find that on a sticker on the ram?(the ram sticks have heatsinks on it) I can't be bothered to open the case now, but I will do it tomorrow if it's helpful.

I will try some more later I guess... But I have always wondered, what is "CPU VID StartUp Value"? I've just left it at auto, so what is it used for?

It multiplies the voltage value set by you by a specific percentage (ie 1.375x102.9%) to get a voltage that you can't normally get just by setting the CPU VID.

It multiplies the voltage value set by you by a specific percentage (ie 1.375x102.9%) to get a voltage that you can't normally get just by setting the CPU VID.

You're thinking of the Special Vid Control, not the Startup voltage.

I don't know what it does & I have never had a need to change it. Perhaps it is the voltage sent to the processor when the computer first starts up?

Hello granulf,

Shouldn't there be 1.5 to 2.0 ns between Max ASync Latency and ReadPreamble? Not sure if it makes a difference at the divider that you are running. Just a thought. Good Luck.

Hello granulf,

Shouldn't there be 1.5 to 2.0 ns between Max ASync Latency and ReadPreamble? Not sure if it makes a difference at the divider that you are running. Just a thought. Good Luck.

You learn something every day, even after almost a year with this board, eyhh? :) Thanks, I just played a round BF2 without any lock ups at 323x9 and 1.59V. I don't know if it made any difference, it could simply be the fact that it's more than -10c outside thus making my room very cold... Will do some stress testing later.