Samsung 50" HDTV DirecTV DVR

Guest bobyjo_merged

My wonderful wife purchased a new Samsung DLP 50" HDTV as a Christmas Present to both of us.

We upgraded to DirecTV HD w/HD_DVR.

Really great setup as well as many HD channels.

DirecTV is telling everyone that they are gonna have over 150 HD channels in the near future.

I am happy with DirecTV service and product.

These football games were super with HD reception.

Nascar will be broadcased in HD this season also.

If you are into basketball they are in HD now.

I would like to add that my brother brought home a 56" version of this Samsung DLP 1080p and it is simply amazing.

I have a 42" Mitsubishi HDTV (1080i, HD-ready only) and we've had it for about 3 or 4 years, and I always thought it was great looking tv...until my brother bought this monstrosity.

The only real problem is that our living room is simply not big enough for this tv. When you go into Best Buy etc to look at these, they never look this big because they are in a warehouse type setup or a huge showroom, surrounded by other tv's, with all kinds of lighting etc around/on them.

We just can't sit far enough away from this thing lol...but man does it look super-fantastic on HD programming, Xbox360, even my crappy PS2 in 480p playing Guitar Hero II ;)

Highly recommended tv. Has a couple HDMI ports, optical audio out, 2 component inputs, analog RGB (ie pc's CRT monitor connector) input, etc.

oh, and depending on where you live (Boise, Idaho, population about 200,000 maybe), you drop an old rabbit-ears antenna on it and blammo there's like 42 channels, but about 16 of them come in nice and clear and in digital (and like 5 PBS digital channels lol)

I've been reading some good things about the Sammy's on AVS forum.

Of course there are folks with a beef - about darn near every brand and model.

(Heh - sound familiar?)

For now I'm leaning to things sold by Costco, since I don't really know what I'm doing here.

The new high-end Sharp sounds good, as well as the Sony.

If only I could find that thread with only WINNING lotto numbers. :tooth:

I would like to add that my brother brought home a 56" version of this Samsung DLP 1080p and it is simply amazing.

I have a 42" Mitsubishi HDTV (1080i, HD-ready only) and we've had it for about 3 or 4 years, and I always thought it was great looking tv...until my brother bought this monstrosity.

The only real problem is that our living room is simply not big enough for this tv. When you go into Best Buy etc to look at these, they never look this big because they are in a warehouse type setup or a huge showroom, surrounded by other tv's, with all kinds of lighting etc around/on them.

We just can't sit far enough away from this thing lol...but man does it look super-fantastic on HD programming, Xbox360, even my crappy PS2 in 480p playing Guitar Hero II ;)

Highly recommended tv. Has a couple HDMI ports, optical audio out, 2 component inputs, analog RGB (ie pc's CRT monitor connector) input, etc.

oh, and depending on where you live (Boise, Idaho, population about 200,000 maybe), you drop an old rabbit-ears antenna on it and blammo there's like 42 channels, but about 16 of them come in nice and clear and in digital (and like 5 PBS digital channels lol)

Our living room is 18x18' and according to C_Net's chart for selecting the best TV size for your room, 40-50" screen needs at least 8' distance away for optimum viewing.

We placed the TV at a 45degree in the corner, so we are all about 12' away from the screen.

I was surprised at that recomended distance, I would have thought it would be much farther.

A CRT requirements are much farther away than the LCD, PLasma, etc. These screens do not hurt your eyes like the CRT does.

The NFL Playoffs were simply great on this TV.

We plan on watching the SuperBowl, I know that will be great.

I have never been much interested in the NBA but with HD that is a super screen to watch.

Nascar, about any sports is super, Movies are super also.

We have a theatre setup with 5.1 SS, the HD TV, and with a big bowl of popcorn we can watch mostly anything with a great deal of interest from everyone.

• 2 weeks later...
my chair is about 10-11' from the 56" but its still too close as far as I'm concerned =(

i wish the tv was either a little smaller, or our room a little larger lol

Yea, I would think the 50" would be the max for you.

The 56"er might need a bit farther back, somwhrere like 12-14'

We have a Teac SS amp, receiver on our sound system.

It is quite old and I would like to have a newer rec,amp.

Our speakers are super, the towers are 2x10" oil filled floating cores, and 3 smaller speakers built in.

I am wanting to keep the speaker towers, even though the wife wants smaller ones.

The only small speakers I really like are Bose, and the price is out of reason.

my chair is about 10-11' from the 56" but its still too close as far as I'm concerned =(

i wish the tv was either a little smaller, or our room a little larger lol

Hahaha, I don't know what you guys are talking about - I love it when eyes feel like they're bleeding. lol. Our viewing position on the couch is 9' to the inch from the surface of the screen... and we have a 60" Sony XBR. When I play xbox360, I acutally sit in one of my club chairs, and pull it up to about 6-7' away. Although maybe that's why my neck has been sore recently...

I also own the new 56" Samsung DLP 1080p TV hooked up to Dish Network. My couch is about 12" away, which I think works good. My room is not big enough to get any further away from it. I built myself a HTPC that allows me to play video games on it. I think it makes a pretty good monitor. It has all the connections on it you will need. I am using HDMI connections on my DVD and Satelite box. Be prepared to fork out some money for it.

yep we used the HDMI from the DirecTV box, but the problem is, it wouldn't properly play the digital audio (any channel gave you audio, but the HD and digital channels like HBO etc that used Dolby Digital, the sound wouldn't work)

so we use HDMI for video, and an optical audio cable into a Sony 6.1 Home Theater receiver.

The only negative about the Samsung is that it has only an RGB input, not a DVI =(

however, I can't honestly say that is so negative when I've yet to hook up the HTPC to the tv lol ;)

Guest Jack Stand

I bought the Sammy 50" dlp about 2 yrs ago ( 720P )...I love it..recently I built ( with the help of many of you) my first game pc..I'm not really a "gamer" as I only play a race sim called GTR2..but that's my passion...my Sammy has a HDMI but that does not support PC so my input choices are a 15-pin d-sub PC in or component in. At this moment I'm using the s-vid in( and it ain't all that bad!!), as I need some cabling for my final install..which of my 2 connections option would you guys think would be best...