Some opinions on HDTV tuners

red930

I bought one of the HDHomeRun's last week, and it is easily the best purchase I have made in years. I have it sitting behind a desk in the office, and we can access the tuners from all the computers in the house through the gigabit router. I have the absolute cheapest analog cable package (which comes out to $3/month after the $10 discount for having cable internet) and get all the local channels in HD with the QAM tuner. The best part is you can use it through Windows Media Center interface now too. I highly recommend this thing!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great to hear that. I am still planning on that being my next tuner I buy. I just don't have a need for it right now. It just seems so slick having it hooked up to the network. Also they seem to be continually adding support for other application too, which is good.

I just got this and its a great tuner card, great software, awsome remote! :)http://store.snapstream.com/btv-hvr1600.html

The tuner card it a dual tuner, so you can watch analog, and record hd at the same time. There is no QAM on this card but you get a nice over the air Antenna. Plus you can run more then one of these card in you computer at the same time! To put the second card is eazy, just put it in and add your sorce to the software and your up and running, No need to install new drivers! You can use the antenna with a spliter on both cards, same with the analog. :cool:

• 3 months later...
Here is the next tuner(s) I am looking at getting: http://www.silicondust.com/wiki/products/hdhomerun.

It is called the hdhomerun, which is a networked dual hdtv tuner. It then can be setup to work with various media player products: Windows Media Center, VLC, Media Portal, mythtv, etc...

Features of this unit and it's unique ethernet concept are defenetly :drool:. Too bad it is US only since it only supports ATSC. I'm looking forward for a DVB-T version.