Sign in to follow this  
Raphie

So i flashed my XFX 8800GTX to a 8800GTX XXX

And it worked!!

Using NvFlash 5.33 and xx XXX bios files posted on the web.

Not that i notice any major difference, but still a nice free "upgrade" for us XFX users

Raphie, I got a “how-to” question regarding the BIOS flash. Though I did a quick search about how to flash the BIOS (including the “NVIDIA GeForce BIOS Flash Guide”), I did not find the answer; mine is the SLI set up (two 8800GTX cards). Do I have to flash the BIOS one card at one time?

And it worked!!

Not that i notice any major difference, but still a nice free "upgrade" for us XFX users

Nice !! So whats the difference between the standard 8800GTX and the XXX version, just the BIOS ???? If so ill consider flashing to it, though not sure I want these things running any faster just yet....They get aufly hot when running a game.....How much difference have you noticed temperarure wise?

And it worked!!

Nice !! So whats the difference between the standard 8800GTX and the XXX version, just the BIOS ???? If so ill consider flashing to it, though not sure I want these things running any faster just yet....They get aufly hot when running a game.....How much difference have you noticed temperature wise?

I downloaded the nvFlash & XXX rom, created the bootable disk and copied the nvFlash & XXX rom files on it, and I think that I am ready to flash the BIOS to XXX!

With the XXX Bios my system BSOD'ed after 30mins in BF2, by putting in an extra fan.

…well, that wavered me a bit.

Raphie, did you un-install any graphic card tuning/tweaking apps (like nTune or Riva Tuner) before the BIOS flash && re-install the graphic card driver after the BIOS flash? (, though I guess that you know this and already did that, I like to know that the instability is not caused by the BIOS flash, eliminating the possible causes of the problem…);

The quote from “NVIDIA GeForce BIOS Flash Guide”:

*Important* If you are using softmods and other tweaking applications, uninstall them prior to flashing. This goes for Riva Tuner and others. Why? Because most people flash, leaving those programs resident, so those utilities, try to force the video card to those saved settings in software and that causes problems for a card with a fresh flash or a new device ID.

*Remember* To always change out the drivers after a flash, most people forget this and then wonder why the drivers are giving them problems or why they get strange effects in there games. Always re-install the drivers and turn off any anti-virus before doing so. Rename the file to something thats easy to remember and point the string path too.[“GeForce BIOS Flash Guide”, URL: http://www.mvktech.net/content/view/15/37/, on-line: 01/24/2007]

Nope didn't do that, can try that tomorrow, the other thing that becomes worrying is the heat, card reaches 82 degrees easily while playing BF2

I've installed my Thermalright Chipset cooler (SLI edition and it doesn't fit on the top because of my Zalman 9500, so it goes underneath. The radiator is now straight under the fan of the 8800. (it doesn't get got though, not even handwarm)

I will try your tips and also put the fan on full speed via RivaTuner and see where that takes me.

after de-installing and re-installing everything seems to work properly.

Glad to know that your OC card works fine!

How’s the GPU temperature? Is it still higher than the one before updated the BIOS?

I’m planning to update the BIOS to XXX one in this weekend if I can find time to do so…