Flash Chat

red930

The chat room was put into place for a nice enviroment where members could chat about different things in life.

I had never intended it to be a place for tech support as then only 1 person gets the help and another person standing in line may not know the answer because it isn't posted in the forums anywhere.

Imagine that all answers were given in the chat room this forum would have zero content to share will all the members as well as potential members.

In the long run the chat room may hurt this forum as everyone will seek a answer there and nowhere else.

I hope it doesn't come to that but I guess time will tell.

Tmod

Remember when we tried IRC, for real time help? Somebody didn't like the answers the got and caused a big stink. I hope it goes better this time since I like realtime better.

Check #gentoo on freenode. At any given time of day, tons of people are bitching(3:30 AM, 3:30 PM) about something. If you act appropriately, you can stay. If not, you get kickbanned and must appeal in a different channel for it to be removed. It works pretty well. It's an amazing resource because, 24/7, there's at least one hardcore nerd on who knows everything about everything who's there to jump out and help you with your problem.

Terry, correct me if I am wrong, but can't you setup a disclaimer that displays every time somebody enters the chat? It could read something like "Don't post for technical support, please" or something. I think it would be cool if the chat stayed recreational rather than a support desk chat. If somebody did need help quickly they could always resolve their issues via flashchat PMs.

Terry, correct me if I am wrong, but can't you setup a disclaimer that displays every time somebody enters the chat? It could read something like "Don't post for technical support, please" or something. I think it would be cool if the chat stayed recreational rather than a support desk chat. If somebody did need help quickly they could always resolve their issues via flashchat PMs.

Hmmm I will check into that, I should be able to.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Tmod

A good way to do a disclaimer, would be to set the topic to that in an IRC channel - it'd be the first thing anyone sees when they join. Perhaps set the MOTD to that on the server as well.

I promise I'll stop talking about IRC now. :D :angel:

The chat room was put into place for a nice enviroment where members could chat about different things in life.

I had never intended it to be a place for tech support as then only 1 person gets the help and another person standing in line may not know the answer because it isn't posted in the forums anywhere.

Imagine that all answers were given in the chat room this forum would have zero content to share will all the members as well as potential members.

In the long run the chat room may hurt this forum as everyone will seek a answer there and nowhere else.

Tmod

I agree totally..

The flash chat should be a place where we all get to know each other on a non-nerdy basis..lol ah well some of us will always be nerds but you know what I mean.

Tmod

i for one will not be answering any tech questions that should be posted in teh forum (as tmod is right, it hurts the rest of us who might need to rely on that answer one day and there's no way to get it out of chat, so keep your support questions for the forum).

it is ok to go into chat and see who is there, then post a link to your thread where you ask a question. Anyone that clicks the link, hopefully they will answer in the threads and not the chat room.

As Tmod says, we don't want the chat room to be for anything but yapping with each other (another way to get more community involvement, and to know your fellow members better *or worse*).

A good way to do a disclaimer, would be to set the topic to that in an IRC channel - it'd be the first thing anyone sees when they join. Perhaps set the MOTD to that on the server as well.

I promise I'll stop talking about IRC now. :D :angel:

we are not going to use IRC so good idea to stop talking about IRC now.

the flash chat is tied into your forum account.

if you are banned in teh forum, you will be banned here also.

if you are a moderator in the forum, you will be a moderator in the chat

etc

this is why we use it

hopefully something that lags a little less will come along

until then, I will abuse you (Thasp) repeatedly in chat as well as in the forums.

:tooth: