PVR and case Choice selections

ComicDom1

I am in the process of building my HTPC with an RS482. I am looking for suggestions in regard to PVR and case choices. I am stuck with Direct TV(Hughes net) satellite dish reception. I do not have the option of cable, so as far as I know everything has to go through the Satellite receiver. I do have component out (R/G/B) from the receiver that will give me a high def signal to record. Please do not confuse this with component out.

Unfortunately most of the mAtx boards that I have seen only have a component in that goes through the sVideo with an adapter. Doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of trying to record from an HD Receiver? I am still looking for a PVR with component input at well. I certainly would like a dual tuner such as Nvidia has to offer, but of course I would like to have the component inputs. If I am mistaken in what I am looking for here, then someone please correct me.

Cases, are another animal. Currently I am running windows MCE but I may be moving to Vista. I do have RC1 running on another machine and we are exploring that possiblity. I know I want a case that will hold several hard drives, and allow full height video cards. I certainly do not want a case I have to mod and I would like it to include the sensor so I can use the MCE remote and keyboard.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

What do you think of this one Praz? They have different models that come with or without their own power supply, and you can install your own full size ATX supply if you desire.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811204022

and you can add this to it!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811999085

Jason

As for the PVR it just depends how wild or mild you want to go...

right now I am using/testing this one.... so far it works great..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16815153002

for a budget price it's worth it..but for quality you may be better suited for something else...

I am Not saying the quality isnt there... but is a basic card that can be used for PVR ans works rather well doing it....very easy to set up and use...

Comicdom, that's a decent looking case you linked to, but I just would like to point out that it's using dual 60MM fans for cooling.

I built an HTPC rig in a case which used a single 60MM, and had quite a time trying to keep a balance between cooling and quiet. It's difficult to find a 60MM that has decent airflow and low noise due to the RPM's necessary. I wound up using a Zalman "Fanmate" on mine, and settled for higher temps than I would normally like in a rig.

I believe Antec has an HTPC case which uses 2x120MM fans on the side panel for exhaust, but I don't remember the model. Might be worth checking out!

What kind of satellite receiver is it? If it has firewire, it may be possible.

That Nextcom looks like a scam to me. First they take your 500 dollars then they steal the STB you sent them. Notice how they recently changed their address. lol.

For an inexpensive HTPC case, I'm rather partial to the Antec NSK2400.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811129014

Sure it's not brushed aluminum, doesn't have a VFD or TFT, but it does the job exactly as required, has quiet 120mm fans, and looks quite nice as far as I'm concerned.

The nMedia is also a nice option, but I find the front cluttered. The Antec Fusion is a few bucks less, has a VFD and 120mm fans and comes with a silent 430W PSU - generally lots enough for an HTPC.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811129131

Frankly, I also wonder why more people don't just buy a junker case and hide it in the closet. I can't imagine many reasons that one would really need to interact with the actual case (my KB, mouse and remote are bluetooth/RF). How often do you actually load a DVD into your HTPC? I imagine 99.9% of people will be streaming audio and video and don't need optical drive functionality - except maybe to install windows.

I run a watercooled P180 that is literally stuffed in a corner. I can still access it if I need to, but honestly it's been running 24/7 for about 5 months now and I haven't had a need to.

I mean if you absolutely must put your case into an AV rack, then by all means buy a pretty one. Just don't be surprised if the only time you touch it is to wipe the dust off it.

Ah, thank you politbureau!

That's the Antec case I was thinking of mentioned in my earlier post with the 2x120MM fans!