Help me troubleshoot my random freezes/reboots

I am not disputing the quality of OCZ's PSU's. I know that you may not remember, but I had a thread about the "cold boot" problem. My PSU was causing the problem and it was a OCZ Powerstream 520W. This is the reason for my post.

Oh no, I wasn't trying to say that you were wrong or anything. Sorry for any misunderstanding. I just mentioned it :D

And yes, if we can determine that the PSU is the problem, we would suggest you replace it. Most of us will recommend the OCZ GameXStream series (600-700w); I chose my Corsair 620W (also highly recommended) because of its modularity.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically, my rig would occasionally reboot on its own / crash which sounds like what is described by the OP. My solution to these problems is to manually reboot the computer every night before I go to sleep. It seems like as long as I manually reboot the rig once a day, the rig won't auto reboot / crash during that 1 day period. I have suspected that the Antec Neo 480 wasn't able to handle the 24/7 CPU + GPU folding so I've recently replaced the Antec with a Zalman ZM600-HP. Unfortunately, that didn't solve the problems.

I'm using the ULi controller to run my two 80GB's in RAID 0. I've checked Windows' Event Viewer and noticed that some of the auto reboots were preceded by the m5288 error. Are the auto reboots/crashes and m5288 error caused by the use of ULi RAID? If that's the case, should I just disable ULi RAID in BIOS and use the Silicon Image controller instead?

Thanks in advance for any help.

edit: The Zalman ZM600-HP (made by FSP) got a 9/10 at Jonny Guru and is on the list of recommended PSUs at DFI Club.

Alrighty then. Thanks for the quick reply. I'm getting one for my PC, merely because I have the extra $40, and I'm sick of issues with power. @_@!

How much are you paying for it? Fry's had it for around $150 after MIR. But there's no Fry's in BC...

Where are you in BC? I remember lots about living there...

In CDN, I paid $185, before shipping.

In USD.. uh.. you do the math.

I usually order my stuff from NCIX, because I have a VIP membership there, as well as a few friends who work there, who get me the best deals. :D

Anyway, it might not've been the cheapest power supply, or best deal, but I'm just happy that it will be enough wattage.

Currently my PSU is showing that the 3.3v and 5v are fine, but the 12v rail is running at 11.30v! #_@!

Clearly the PSU is dying, since when I first got it, it was fine.

The PSU I have now is a Kingwin "Absolute Power" 550 or 600w .. thing. The only part of my PC that isn't adequate.

But luckily, that'll all be fixed by Monday or Tuesday.

Where I am, NCIX ships stuff to me in under 24 hours, usually.

In CDN, I paid $185, before shipping.

In USD.. uh.. you do the math.

I usually order my stuff from NCIX, because I have a VIP membership there, as well as a few friends who work there, who get me the best deals. :D

Anyway, it might not've been the cheapest power supply, or best deal, but I'm just happy that it will be enough wattage.

Currently my PSU is showing that the 3.3v and 5v are fine, but the 12v rail is running at 11.30v! #_@!

Clearly the PSU is dying, since when I first got it, it was fine.

The PSU I have now is a Kingwin "Absolute Power" 550 or 600w .. thing. The only part of my PC that isn't adequate.

But luckily, that'll all be fixed by Monday or Tuesday.

Where I am, NCIX ships stuff to me in under 24 hours, usually.

First off, use a multimeter to measure your volts (but your post didn't state whether or not you had already done this, so..) Software programs are not reliable when doing this type of thing.

Although the Kingwin isn't recommended to be used with a DFI setup, if it has enough amps it should do.

I remember when the NCIX website glitched and showed a mobile 3000 for free.. was gonna ask my dad to get me three just to see what would happen, lol.

Cheers, fellow British Columbian!

I checked it via the BIOS, and then I had my dad check it with his multimetre, since I don't know how to use one. (That makes me sound like a toddler, doesn't it?)

Anyway,

The BIOS reported 11.37, and the multimetre reported 11.28, so...

Either way, I think the PSU is dying.

I tried it in another rig that only needed like.. 400 watts, and had a GeForce 6200 in it, and it had the same weird crashing issue, the same odd noises coming from the fan in the PSU, and the BIOS reported insufficient power when booting.

Anyway,

I, too, remember the infamous NCIX glitch. I was going to order one, but I never got around to it. =

I checked it via the BIOS, and then I had my dad check it with his multimetre, since I don't know how to use one. (That makes me sound like a toddler, doesn't it?)

Anyway,

The BIOS reported 11.37, and the multimetre reported 11.28, so...

Either way, I think the PSU is dying.

I tried it in another rig that only needed like.. 400 watts, and had a GeForce 6200 in it, and it had the same weird crashing issue, the same odd noises coming from the fan in the PSU, and the BIOS reported insufficient power when booting.

Anyway,

I, too, remember the infamous NCIX glitch. I was going to order one, but I never got around to it. =

If the multimeter told you 11.28, then yes it would probably be a good time to get a new PSU.

Odd noises from the fan specifically? Or the PSU? Sounds like my old 500W Antec that didn't fail but was relegated to a spare Linux server my dad used for safety purposes.

Odd noises from the fan specifically? Or the PSU? Sounds like my old 500W Antec that didn't fail but was relegated to a spare Linux server my dad used for safety purposes.

Only from the PSU's fan.

It spun up half-way to max, spun down, idled for a minute, spun up half-way, and so on, and so forth. Never constantly spun.

Woah. I totally hijacked this post, didn't I?

What is the exact model number of the memory that you have? What are the timings that are set in the BIOS?

I don't have access to a multimeter and not really that hardcore to start using one :P

Anyways, about my current PSU next to the rest of my specs.

Just right?

Pushing it? (time to buy a new one?)

I don't mind spending the extra cash if it will fix my problem.