eVGA 680i motherboard

Guest ElAguila_merged

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW,

If you intend to overclock the FSB to 500MHz or beyond, I highly reccomend aftermarket cooling. You'll need to tweak the FSB voltage to about 1.5v, and the SPP voltage to 1.5v as well, which cause the NB and SB to heat up a fair bit. EVGA is nice enough to let you replace the stock cooling without voiding the warranty, and I chose to replace the NB and SB with Thermalright HR-05 coolers.

A passive HR-05-SLI on the SB and HR-05 on the NB with an 80mm fan worked exceptionally well, and reduced my temps by 20-30 degrees!

BTW,

If you intend to overclock the FSB to 500MHz or beyond, I highly reccomend aftermarket cooling. You'll need to tweak the FSB voltage to about 1.5v, and the SPP voltage to 1.5v as well, which cause the NB and SB to heat up a fair bit. EVGA is nice enough to let you replace the stock cooling without voiding the warranty, and I chose to replace the NB and SB with Thermalright HR-05 coolers.

A passive HR-05-SLI on the SB and HR-05 on the NB with an 80mm fan worked exceptionally well, and reduced my temps by 20-30 degrees!

So using HR-05's works fine? Do you have any pictures? Cuse I have a HR-05 laying around here somewhere collecting dust, and the temps are around 53C idle.

So using HR-05's works fine? Do you have any pictures? Cuse I have a HR-05 laying around here somewhere collecting dust, and the temps are around 53C idle.
Yep, the HR-05 works perfectly on the MCP (NB) with an 80mm fan, and reduced my idle temps from ~55 to just above ambient at 1.5v.

Bear in mind the SPP will need a heatsink as well, and there are few that will fit under a video card in PCI_E 1. You might fit an Evercool VC-RE, though I haven't tried. I had both the regular and SLI version of the HR-05 around, so thats what I went with, and it worked great.

I'l take some pictures and post when I'm back after the weekend.

Cheers

680i killed one of my tracers but I still love it :)
Really? What did EVGA do? Did they replace the RAM for you?

Thats a terrible experience... Do you know which mobo revision you were running? And BIOS?

Thanks

680i is a pain go with 965 something pw5 quad gt not commando that mobo killed my cellshock 4.4.4. =/ i think or maybe they just died but i think they did. also quad gt is my fav mobo so far. also any 6600 6700 and 6800 will do 3.6 gig hel any c2d will do it. its a matter of the person doing it :) had 7 diff cpus all did 3.6 without phase just strait up water i ran a 6700 on a tuniq 3.6 gig forever and never had 1 error 1.45 v too it all matters if you know what you are doing k thx rant over :)

This is an early "in progress" pic of my intitial build, but gives you can idea of the heatsink placements.

EVGA002.jpg

In it's current configuration, the HR-05 on the MCP is rotated so it is facing the front of the case. In this pic, I mounted the fan too low on the heatsink, so the lower edge is restricted by the push-pin.

The SLI block sits at an angle so it does not interfere with the 8800, and the 8800's intake fan pulls air through it, so it gets a fair amount of cooling.

Also notice that due to the location of the MCP, I had to rotate the Rad 180° so that the hoses would not touch the HR-05. I also reduced the overall mounting depth of the Rad + Fan by moving the 120x38mm fan outside the case, and putting a shroud between the rad and back panel. This setup actually works better, reducing temps by about 2-3°C.

MCP Temps

Stock

Idle - 54°C

Load - 65°C

HR-05 + 80mm Thermaltake A2364 Fan (LINK)

Idle - 32°C

Load - 40°C

Cheers

Guest Retratserif

Ah Nice, I just sent you a PM about your Water Cooling setup.

I have my 120x38 on the inside and Rad on the outside. I am using a dual Rad, so I loaded it up with fans and am using bolts to hold it all on and tight. Though I send my tubes through my I/O shield where the Sound Device would typically go. I couldnt fit the Aseteck Pump nowhere by beside my Sound Card. But its all in there. I idle at 25°C-28°C and load of 35°C-38°C. But having 5 fans pushing the Rad makes that much difference.

As much issues as I have had with the 180, I love it for its solid feeling and overall quiteness. Though all you here from my case is the sound of air beign forced through and the rear fans. I use my stock CPU cooler fan to cool my Ram, I just Paper cliped it to them. It keeps them at 35°C. My water kit cools my NB and Video also. Funny how the Video is hotter than the NB and the NB is hotter than the CPU.

Its lovely how the asetek kit came with 2 thermal sensors and monitoring software. So instead of placing them on the NB and CPU, I stuffed them in my Ram Heatsinks. I like how I can see ever Temp that may hinder my performance all at once. I just wish I had gotten a dual core instead of my 3700+. Damn gimped chip. It just will not go past 2805. No matter what angle I try to get it to go past it, it will not stablize. Its all good. I am just going to wait out for a Core 2 dou setup. Mabye get some Raptors and a 8800.

I'd recommend staying away from 680i for now. I'm sending my EVGA back cuz the cpu makes this high pitch whining sound and it runs way too hot even with my full tower stripped down to accomodate massive airflow. My 965 Gigabyte ran much cooler and stable than the evga. I've already setup an RMA for it so i'll hopefully get a board that's better than this one. But i'll prolly just go back to 965, there are too many issues that with 680i chipset that haven't been ironed out yet.

I just recently purchased another 680i for a customer and had no troubles with it running raid 0. The motherboard overall was stable and ran pretty good compared to my 680i I originally bough RMA got me a new one that runs great.