Sign in to follow this  
Guest ElAguila_merged

eVGA 680i motherboard

I am getting ready to build a C2D system using the 6600 cpu and I was looking at using the eVGA 680i motherboard. I need a system with 6 sata connections and this has them and sli capable with the 8800 series. Anyone have any good or bad experiences with this board? Anything in particular to be aware of on this motherboard? I have not had an intel system for quite some time so this is a leap into uncharted waters for me.

I have the ECS board which is the same.

the only problem I had was with the crappy battery holder. When I first installed the board it would fire up and the post code showed two dashes there is nothing in the maual what that means.

So I called tech support they were courtious and, friendly and to my surprise I diden't have to wait ( called twice ) with the same result's .

When everything was said and done they told me to get an RMA from the vender. I took it out of the case when I got it out I laid it out on my bench to try one more time. After changing memory positions and vid card's and, spending about 4 hrs. on this project for no paticular reason I decided to change battery when I noticed the battery wasn't seated properly so I took it out. There are four contact's two on the side and two on the bottom so bent them a little to make better contact and replaced the same battery making sure to really press down on the battery to make sure it was seated. Low and behold It fired up went into the bios and set system default's loaded XP and all the driver's . I have SLI setup wih two XFX 7900GT extreme with two stick's OCZ PC5400 gold edition .

This is the first system I've built that set the memory to the proper spec's without having to change any of the timing's manually. I did disable the link boost.

I haven't tried to overclock yet until I get my water cooling system.

I would like to get some suggestion's here.

I'm looking at the maze 4, TDX. or the strom.

Your suggestion's would be welcome.

I really like this board it seem's to be very stable.

Hope this has helped you.

I might as well throw my 2 cents in. I've had the evga 680i board since about mid November. Originally I had some problems trying to run 2GB OCZ titanium 1000 ddr2. It wouldn't run at the default settings, so I exchanged it for 2GB corsair dominator 8500 PC2 C5D 1066. The dominator works fine at 5-5-5-15-2T-2.2v @1066 (default) but gets unstable at about 1074. At 3359MHz the e6600 cooled by a tuniq tower 120 runs at 60C-63C after a few hours on orthos blend and idles at around 36C according to core temp. When I ran orthos originally I had it clocked around 3.6GHz and it would run for about an hour and then lock up. Funny thing I never got errors it would just lock up instead. I gradually backed the FSB down till I could get it to run about 16 hours on blend. I've read lots of horror stories on the evga forums too, but I guess I was one of the lucky ones. What Angry said about the c2d holds true in my experience. I think on water I could probably get to 3.6 but on air it just gets too hot even with the tuniq. I had the e6600 up to 75C once. I've got a sunbeam transformer case with a bunch of fans, couple of 120mm and 3 80mm. The only issue I've got with the 680i is the ps2 bug. Mouse would jump all over the screen and the keyboard beeps in ps2. So I got a usb to ps2 adapter for the keyboard and plugged the mouse into a usb port. I've got an 8800GTX at stock settings and hit 11166 on 3D Mark 06. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

I had mine now for more then one week and I must say I'm impressed. No problems whatsoever straight out of the box, really easy to OC, and OC it does! No stability issues, didn't need to mess around with any drivers (using Vista), really quiet (compared to the DFi nF4 series =P). Simply works like a charm, everything about the boards seems well thought through, except the front panel connectors placement, who the hell designed that? I can't really think of any reson to choose this board over any other today, maybe except for the price, but as other 680i boards make it to the market prices should drop. Would love to go SLi with this boards, but for now I'll just wait for my 8800GTS 320 Mb :drool:

Magel, was your mainboard dead?

What happened?

I got the double dash code of death ! Shut down the computer like normal, turned it on the next day and it wouldnt do any thing reguardless of what hardware was plugged in or not. CMOS clear didnt work, also wouldn't boot outside the case either so I ruled out any potential grounding issues.

Ya win some ya lose some I guess.....Ive ordered an Asus Striker board so hopefully ill have better luck with this board.....

Shut down the computer like normal, turned it on the next day and it wouldnt do any thing reguardless of what hardware was plugged in or not.
…another horror story of the world-famous EVGA 680i mainboard…. I am sorry to hear that…

The non-referential 680i mainboards are more expensive than the referential ones. As far as I know, ASUS Striker Extreme is the most expensive non-referential 680i mainboard…

Good luck!

BTW, I read the TOM'S HARDWARE GUIDE: "680i Motherboard Comparison Part 2" article, and I think that I might be switching to "MSI P6N Diamond"; I like the mainboard layout – it has the four PCI-E x16 slots!

Guest ElAguila

Have the bios and drivers gotten to the point so that the 680i motherboard will run raid 0 without corrupting the data or should I wait a bit longer?

I have been running two Raptors in RAID 0 for a couple weeks now and no data corruption. I flashed to bios p24 before installing windows and my board has been running great.

Just got my new -A1 revision EVGA 680i. This is the replacement to the -AR, which has the full lifetime warranty and all the extra accessories. The new revision is supposed to not only address Quad Core overclocking issues, but also rectify some of the problems the earlier boards were having. It ships with the P24 BIOS stock. All -AR boards are being discontinued and replaced in-line with this revision.

So far, I have had no issues with my board whatsoever. As far as I have heard, boards shipped natively with the P24 or newer P25 BIOS are not having any problems. The EVGA tech I spoke with said that some older boards which were flashed to the newer BIOS without first properly clearing the old one, were bricking or having the same or similar issues described elsewhere on the net.

If you have an older board, check on the web or contact EVGA for proper flashing instructions to bring your board up to the newer P24/25 BIOS.

I have currently installed TinyXP6 on this system along with the setup in my sig, without any problems. This is the only board I have ever used (inlcuding 975/965 based chipsets) which can hit 500MHz FSB without any mods. And unlike the P965 boards I have used in the past, almost no settings need to be changed to overclock - I simply plugged in my E6600, set the voltage to 1.4 and FSB to 378 and walked away. Similarly with RAM, I plugged in my OCZ Reapers, set the RAM mode to unlinked, settings to EPP, voltage to 2.3 and boosted the bus speed to 1200MHz, and went on my merry way.

I guess the bottom line is if it works, it works well. If it doesn't, you're screwed.

Cheers

politbureau,

glad your sorted but must admit to being confused evga are showing 2 models 4 sale on their website.

nForce 680i SLI 775 T1 Version in addition 2 the A1 version u have.

What's the difference ??

Good question Shanks.

The T1 replaces the TR revision, and comes with a one year warranty which can be extended to two by registering the board with EVGA. The T1 board is identical to the A1, except for the warranty.

To my knowledge (which is not vast), the T1 boards now include the SAME retail packaging as the A1. Before the revision change, the TRs did not come with as many cables or the backplates.

The irony right now is that newegg has (I believe) the prices mixed up on the A1 and T1 boards. The T1 is currently $229 while the A1 is $199 - good chance for a deal. If you don't have a quad core chip (and don't plan on getting one), the AR revision boards are an awesome value right now at $182.

It's actually a great time to buy C2D...

An EVGA 680i board, E6400 and 2GB of OCZ 1066 RAM (Reaper HPCs) can be had for around $700. A fantastic deal.

Cheers