Sign in to follow this  
Guest ElAguila_merged

eVGA 680i motherboard

Guest ElAguila

I am getting ready to build a C2D system using the 6600 cpu and I was looking at using the eVGA 680i motherboard. I need a system with 6 sata connections and this has them and sli capable with the 8800 series. Anyone have any good or bad experiences with this board? Anything in particular to be aware of on this motherboard? I have not had an intel system for quite some time so this is a leap into uncharted waters for me.

my personal advice is to avoid the Nvidia Intel 680 chipset for a while longer until they fix the issues with it (just google for problems, you will find more than you can stomach lol).

The Intel 975 chipset is very mature. The 965 chipset is a newer version of the 975, and looks to be quite mature also.

Also, no other Intel platform chipset can beat the 965/975 in terms of performance, and so far, we've never seen any other chipset beat these in terms of overclocking ability either.

I'm working on a Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 right now (E6400 @ 3.0Ghz!), and it has 6 SATA ports, and an IDE port. Only a single 16x PCI-E lane, but the DS3 version of this board is dual-16x for Crossfire (and SLI with hacked drivers).

But the best part is that it only cost me $109 @ newegg.

Also, forget SLI with 8800's. Total and complete waste of money. Not even counting how poor SLI is with those cards (think 7950GX2 Quad SLI).

Total waste of money to run 8800's in SLI (as well as a technical challenge that is not even worth the stress).

Stick to a tried-and-true, known-overclocker like the 975 or 965 chipset.

Angry the DS3 doesn't have a second pci slot. But the DQ6 does. just fyi

I've had my rig a week or so. spent a long time considering mobo. after discounting the DFI Lanparty UT ICFX3200T2R-G RD600 I thought about the eVGA 680i or the Abit IN9 32X-MAX but when i saw the 2nd generation 965 boards the commando & the Abit AB9 QuadGT they look much better value as much as £100/$200 cheaper but with great specs. I'm very pleased with the board main restriction is heat. It's a worthy succesor to my neo4.

luck:)

Guest ElAguila

I was looking at the review of the gigabyte 965 boards and it said that the memory had to be cas 5 or 6. Does this mean it won't work with cas 4 ram? I was going to pick up a 2gb kit of gskill cas 4. I guess what I really need to know is this; are tight memory timings as important to the C2D cpu's as it is to the AMD cpu's? I also saw that the 965 chipset neesd 1.8v ddr2 800 memory. I didn't see many of the brand name memory that ran at that voltage. AData and Mushkin are the only 2 I saw. Can you recommend a good 2GB kit that will run well on the 965 chipset? I am looking at picking up a 2gb kit of ddr2 800 memory. I was also looking at the MSI P965 Platinum board as well as the gigabyte. It got a decent review and I saw that it was able to do crossfire(I would actually be using a single 8800GTX so no crossfire for me). As far as chipset cooling, any idea if the hr05 or hr05 sli would fit either the gigabyte board or the msi one? Sorry for all of the questions but I haven't had an intel cpu since the Pentium 2 days. One last thing. Would the psu in my sig work okay for that setup?

One of several i've run in the last few days 355x9 @2:3 see mem timings am running on 4 throughout no issues.

currently on 370x9 @ 4:5 =925 @4,4,4,12 have been on this all day running great. it's got 6 x sata 2 when i've paid wife back what i owe her for helping me fund my habit:D, i want to get 2x hitachi to make me up to 4 & play with matrix raid which has a few more tricks than nvidia :)

Edit:Sorry angry, bin away 4 a bit just forgot:D

I was looking at the review of the gigabyte 965 boards and it said that the memory had to be cas 5 or 6. Does this mean it won't work with cas 4 ram? I was going to pick up a 2gb kit of gskill cas 4.

I'm using OCZ ATI Crossfire DDR2-800 right now that will do 4-4-4-12 on ATI chipsets. It defaults to 5-5-5-15 on non-ATI Chipsets.

I will get it to run at 4-4-4-12 if possible soon (already have an OCDB and SSDB entry done for it! just got to post it lol).

I also have 4-4-4-12 Corsair XMS2 Dominator DDR2-800 that WILL do CAS4 in any DDr2 board, and will do an OCDB and SSDB entry for it.

But for the moment, I cannot confirm or deny that the Gigabyte boards will not run CAS4, so just hold on a day or two and I'll let you know.

I guess what I really need to know is this; are tight memory timings as important to the C2D cpu's as it is to the AMD cpu's?

no. In fact, it is eerily like the AMD64 platform (you remember I made a huge thread about tight timings vs dividers vs 1T vs 2T etc right?). Well, I've started testing it on Core2 and found out that it correlates to the AMD64 platform...timings don't really mean much difference at all. About the same small percentage points as the difference in timings on AMD64.

I just searched for the thread I was working on but I can't find it in the old DFI motherboard section...but I will go ahead and make a new chart then, but the answer is, unless you are in the "EXTREME" 5% of overclockers, or the less-than-1% of "EXTREME" users, the 1% to 5% difference in gaming and apps is of no concern to you. You cannot FEEL the difference, and Call of Duty2 and BF2 and FEAR all FEEL the same. Converting a video might take an extra 30 seconds at CAS5 instead of CAS4, or *gasp* even a full minute (on a huge video, lets keep in mind).

I also saw that the 965 chipset neesd 1.8v ddr2 800 memory. I didn't see many of the brand name memory that ran at that voltage. AData and Mushkin are the only 2 I saw. Can you recommend a good 2GB kit that will run well on the 965 chipset? I am looking at picking up a 2gb kit of ddr2 800 memory.

I'm using 2.0v on my DDR2 right now @ DDR2-940 speeds with the OCZ ATI Crossfire Certified DDR2-800 stuff. I don't worry all that much about that stuff because 965's are second-gen Core2 chipsets, and most are on gen2 of the 965 chip itself, as are the DDR2 memory mfg's. All of them witnessed with horror the problems that Core2 and AM2 boards had with DDR2 (including voltage problems).

I'm highly doubtful that any DDR2 and Core2 board you buy from newegg will have such a problem. I'll be testing all of my DDr2 in this Gigabyte but I don't think I'll see any such problem.

I was also looking at the MSI P965 Platinum board as well as the gigabyte. It got a decent review and I saw that it was able to do crossfire(I would actually be using a single 8800GTX so no crossfire for me).

single 8800 on a Core2 is crazy fast. Thats why I am not so upset that this Gigabyte I have only has a single pci-16x lane. (even though I don't have an 8800, I can judge that any 8800 is better than any single card, and doesn't need SLI to kick butt lol).

As far as chipset cooling, any idea if the hr05 or hr05 sli would fit either the gigabyte board or the msi one? Sorry for all of the questions but I haven't had an intel cpu since the Pentium 2 days. One last thing. Would the psu in my sig work okay for that setup?

don't know about the MSI board, we will be getting some of them to test as time (and money) permits.

The gigabyte is a 2-hole mount (my model is anyway). I can't speak for any other motherboard than the ones I've tested personally or others here have tested personally. If you find a motherboard you are sure you want, then just post it here and we'll take a look at it and it will be easier to answer certain questions (since every motherboard is slightly different).

I can guarantee that the HR-05 will fit any normal Intel chipset motherboard that uses the 2 or 4 "loop" method of securing a NB sink.

However, this does not guarantee that your cpu cooler or video card or something else might not interfere with it. I'm just relating that all standard Intel 2 and 4 loop mounts will accept the HR-05 (and the HR-05 SLI but again refer to where I talk about cpu/gpu interference).

I have the HR-05 and will be testing it on this gigabyte board (using stock NB sink with 80mm fan right now).

One of several i've run in the last few days size.jpg see mem timings am running on 4 throughout no issues.

currently on 370x9 @ 4:5 =925 @4,4,4,12 have been on this all day running great. it's got 6 x sata 2 when i've paid wife back what i owe her for helping me fund my habit:D, i want to get 2x hitachi to make me up to 4 & play with matrix raid which has a few more tricks than nvidia :)

rules are your friend. certain rules have not and never will change. please familiarize yourself with them immediately.

Guest ElAguila

Thanks for all of the info. That helps a lot as I am in the dark on putting this intel system together. I am gong to go with the MSI P965 Platinum. For the memory I am going with the Corsair TWIN2X2084-6400C4. According to X-bit labs these are the same micron chips as the Corsair 8500C5 kits. I will be ordering this hopefully by the end of this week.

Thanks for all of the info. That helps a lot as I am in the dark on putting this intel system together. I am gong to go with the MSI P965 Platinum. For the memory I am going with the Corsair TWIN2X2084-6400C4. According to X-bit labs these are the same micron chips as the Corsair 8500C5 kits. I will be ordering this hopefully by the end of this week.

its a good choice

if you have issues, make sure to talk to Yellowbeard here in the forums, as he's the Corsair rep, and a stand-up guy.

Let us know how the MSI goes as we want to snag one eventually for testing.

I am getting ready to build a C2D system using the 6600 cpu and I was looking at using the eVGA 680i motherboard. I need a system with 6 sata connections and this has them and sli capable with the 8800 series. Anyone have any good or bad experiences with this board? Anything in particular to be aware of on this motherboard? I have not had an intel system for quite some time so this is a leap into uncharted waters for me.

I tested the Ecs PN2 with a E6600 a while back and I could only manage 3.6ghz. I was and still am hoping for a 680i based DFI board - in the hopes it will be better than most - like my old LP NF4. I havent heard about the problems Angry mentions, but I shall google it as suggested.

biker

Guest ElAguila

I googled a lot of issues with data corruption on the 680i. I am not very familiar with ecs but I have had good experiences with MSI in the past. I am definitely going with the corsair ram. I had a friend trying to convince me to go with crucial ballistix but I won't go that route again. Do you think my psu has enought juice to power the proposed system oc'd? I was thinking of getting an ultra 120 or ultra 90 with the bolt thru kit for 775 but I don't know if with this cooler the orientation of the fan would blow from top to bottom or from front to back. On my AM2 system it would have blown from top to bottom so I went with an si-128. Is there a good guide to oc'ing the C2D processors somewhere that I could read while waiting for my guidas to get here so I can place my order?