Sign in to follow this  
stringerB

Reload or wait?

How many times can Windows be reloaded and registered on the same machine or another machine that I will be building? My current OS has been having registry problems since I uninstalled a Canon digcam software package, and Windows did NOT like the System Restore used to try to reclaim some OS essentials. Now some of my programs either do not run, do not run well, will not re-install, or all of the above.

I am currently saving my pennies and waiting for prices to come down a little on computer parts before I spring for a new rig. I don't imagine that I will purchase Vista until after some of its bugs are worked out and probably will use this legit copy of XP Pro when I do the new build. I have 4 36gb Raptors laying around, I can either reinstall now in a 2 or 3 drive raid0, or wait a few months untill I get a new rig built and do the new install then.

I do not want to spend time on the phone with somebody in Windandistan, trying to explain why I am reloading XP Pro if I can help it.

Opinions are greatly appreciated!

I've reinstalled XP at least 10 times already.. so I say go for it.

Don't bother with vista, unless you want to buy a new key each time you get a new board. Terrible OS that'll be.

XP can be, to my knowledge, installed as many times as you'd like.

That is if you're following the EULA and only have it installed on one machine.

I dont quite understand what you are saying.

You can install XP on the same computer as many times as you want.

Installing over the top of an install to try and fix problems does not do anything other than fix missing files all other problems and the things that have grown unstable will still be there.

Windows Vista has things in place so you cant multi boot (I think they now will let you dual boot, but that was not allowed a while ago in the spec) you cant run it on more than one box if it is connected to the net as it phones home and tells on you, there are loads of this running home to mum stuff and you cant just not run in without connection to the net because all the certificates have a time limit and can be revoked, say you by an ATI video card and ATI fall out with M$ and stop paying the licence M$ revoke their certificate and all cards by that maker stop working.

This is the new thing with Vista for every third party part, thats why there will be no free and open software because you have to pay some $700 plus a year to get the certificate for it to be allowed to install, its not like 200/XP where you can say no, and as said every time you change anything the timers are re-set and you have to re-auth it.

You can re-install windows Xp as many times as you want on the same machine according to the agreement. This means that theoretically you can give the software to someone else so they can use it as long as it is used only on one machine at a time.

I am not saying to say this to customer support if you ever talk to them, but theoretically you can do that since you can always claim that is your current computer / setup since you upgraded your hardware.....

As long as the KEY is used on one computer at a time you are not really doing anything wrong...

As far as having the same windows KEY used in two different installations on the same computer (for example dual booting 2 windows XPs on the same box) you are not allowed to do that since windows Key is good for only 1 license at a time

Thanks folks for the replies! That is the longest I have ever had to wait for a reply, but worth the wait. Big kudos to A_G for getting everything going again.

I will only be using this license for one and only one machine, and probably will reinstall soon, just to have a fully functional OS and computer.

Edit: I some how missed this post, finally got around to reading it :http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72145

Apologies for not searching better.

I thought you could multi boot XP (I know you can with Win 2000) as you can only use one OS at any one time, this is what has been changed in Vista and the fact that you can only re-install/upgrade 1 time so if you change the motherboard you can only re install vista one more time.

I was just reading/listening about this today and there is a few web castes about it (and a paper 'the real cost of Vista'), Security Now and a few other TwiT ones, Vista will only be good for the Dell types that just use a box and then sell or scrap it.

When I got my drives for RAID, my product key didnt work. Called M$, told them I got some RAID drives, and they gave me a new key. I didnt have to talk to anyone overseas, and if I did, I had no idea, they spoke very good English.

Sign in to follow this